Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
JD 320x4 sounds like a winner for me... Anyone ever seen this tractor in real life?

·
Registered
7,205 Posts
That isn't Jim Land's custom machine is it? Looks a lot like it and I'm pretty sure he sold it. He had 420 decals on it and no rear fenders. Maybe it was further customized. Or, maybe the machine in the pic posted above is the result of somebody else's hard work and creativity. Either way it's very cool.

Here's Jim's machine before it was finished.

Army

·
Super Moderator
3,693 Posts
I talked to Mr. Peterson at Travis' PD. He said he built it. It was pretty sweet. I have more pictures of it somewhere. I think everyone there took pictures of it.

Mike

·
Super Moderator
3,693 Posts
I found one, to prove it's real that's the Plow Wizard Jim Dimmerling in the picture taking a picture and his tractor with the D&D on it. If it's a photoshop, I'd have to be pretty good at it and I ain't that good.

on edit: Found more pics, here:
http://www.wfmachines.com/discus/messages/2559/421031.html?1239626756

and Here
http://picasaweb.google.com/OnlyJDs/RockfordIAApril09#

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
I would say that Glenn's 4x4 is the best looking and functioning one built. I have seen it in action twice now and it is sweet. Glenn's got fabrication skills.

From Little G this weekend, his new 2 bottom plow.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Awesome. Amazing. And Cool. I'd like to see how it actually works. I guess hes got a driveshaft powering the rear hydro, and and some kind of gear drive that reverses the engine rotation direction powering the front? Man, it doesn't even seem to strain at all under a load. Is that guy a member of this group?

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
I know he has 2 318 hydro rear ends in it. I believe the front tranny is driven off the pto shaft of the engine with a shaft attached to the rear splined shaft of the trany. then I think the rear tranny is driven off the flywheel end of the engine.

This is the front tranny and front of the engine( where the muffler is)

And this is the rear view of the engine with the flywheel screen.

And this is the rear transmission:

He has 2 remote hydraulics hookups and a light plug so he can fold up the wings on the ripper and make the flashers work. The front blade is also hydraulic lift and angle.

Would love to see build pictures...

·
Registered
439 Posts
oh wow. That guys good. I see the rear driveshaft now. It a slider with a u-joint on the end. Is the front hydro just a regular hydro facing the correct way, except its getting its power from the rear instead of the front? Cool. Now I want to see how the steering works! Got any more pictures?

·
Registered
439 Posts
OK, now I see. Hes got like an ariens steering column/valve(its shorter) to clear the engine. wow. Thats a lot of fabrication, right down to the custom plow. I'm impressed as heck. I'm wondering now if he has the 2 hydros controlled with a cable. Thats the only way I can see to get it to work. Its all actually pretty simple! Just a lot of love and work. And access to the tools to do it! Man....I gotta have one of those!

·
Registered
439 Posts
It turns from both the front and the rear. The front gets its power from the the pto shaft(where the clutch would normally be) and the rear works like normal except its driveshaft is split and slides in and out, as well as having 2 u-joints, to let it turn left and right. The front hydro is facing the normal, but its just being fed from the rear output shaft instead of from the front. It still spins the correct direction at the same speed as the rear hydro! Brilliant idea!

·
Registered
439 Posts
Oh you mean how the tractor turns? whoops, i misunderstood the question. The ariens power steering column works the same as the JD, its just shorter. and he must have a cylinder on the right side of the frame working backwards, pushing and pulling on the rear of the tractor. It steers just like a big articulated tractor, except it cant steer the wheels, it just bends in the middle.

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
I had this thing for a while, but it only had maybe 6" of ground clearance and the way the fuel tank was part of the rear fenders, I couldnt put bigger tires on, and plus they would probably hit if I turned it sharp.
It had 2 speed rear ends, like JD garden tractors.

He does have a cable with adjustments to control the 2 hydros.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.