Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know anything is possible with $$$ and amazing fabrication skill, but is it reasonably possible to add a float function for the rockshaft cylinder. The way mine is set up i have down pressure but no float if i ever needed it. Would i ever need it?

· Registered
74 Posts
I might be completely out to lunch here, but I'm pretty sure my 420 rockshaft hydraulics only lift, any downward pressure on the 3 pt hitch relies on the weight of the implement. I think this is the way 3 point hitches work.

In my experience it's usually a matter of adjusting the toplink to get the angle the implement is engaging the ground right so it's "floating". My box blade really wants a hydraulic top link.

· Registered
1,738 Posts
I know anything is possible with $$$ and amazing fabrication skill, but is it reasonably possible to add a float function for the rockshaft cylinder. The way mine is set up i have down pressure but no float if i ever needed it. Would i ever need it?
Is this on your 400 correct?

Unless you have a task already setup or planned that you want float I would not bother with the process of it.

just my thoughts

· Registered
1,284 Posts
Also, you can't just move the float spool to another location. I assume there is an extra port in the valve block for the float circuit.

This would answer the question of adding the float spool from another valve block for 2 float capable circuits in an H2 or 3 valve.

You could with some plumbing work, switch the lines from the front outlets with float with the rear cylinder lines. But as was mentioned the 3 point doesn't have down pressure like a big tractor anyway, so you wouldn't really be gaining anything.

Reactions: Merc1973

· Super Moderator
4,605 Posts
I think this is the way 3 point hitches work.
I would agree especially from an engineering view point.Down pressure would tend to take weight off the wheels.

In my experience it's usually a matter of adjusting the toplink to get the angle the implement is engaging the ground right so it's "floating"
One more piece of evidence indicating it's part of the design.

But the most interesting point is that the detent kit for the 420 has a price of $480. I don't think I'll be doing it.

Reactions: DEERE317

· Registered
1,012 Posts
To answer your questions though, it's probably a matter of what you consider reasonable. How much do you want to spend, and how much do you want to modify things? There's no easy swap in / swap out that I know of, so that makes it a custom build (= time + money).
For the "would I need it question", only you can answer that. If you don't already have a specific use case, then I'd say that it's likely you won't need it (not impossible of course - please update if you do ever come up with a use case)

· Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
To clarify, my 3ph does infact have down pressure. I can lift the rear tires of the ground. I dont have the factory 3ph that has the "pie shaped" piece on the rockshaft. I just welded pitman arms to the non-3ph rockshaft amd kept the factor mounting tabs.

· Registered
932 Posts
Not having thought this through-could a simple fix be to substitute lift chains for the lift links? I also think it may be possible to use the float/detent cap in place of the standard cap on the back end of any of the spools. It would be a painful process but you could try it by moving the float cap to another spool. I don't know if they are interchangeable. My intuition is that the detent just holds the spool from spring returning to closed. I might be all wet, too.

· Registered
635 Posts
Not having thought this through-could a simple fix be to substitute lift chains for the lift links? I also think it may be possible to use the float/detent cap in place of the standard cap on the back end of any of the spools. It would be a painful process but you could try it by moving the float cap to another spool. I don't know if they are interchangeable. My intuition is that the detent just holds the spool from spring returning to closed. I might be all wet, too.
If this is the case, it might be attractive to single spool owners. Far more than missing a second circuit on my 316 I found the lack of float maddening when trying to use a blade. I relegated that machine to snowblower only duty once I got a 318.

Reactions: Merc1973

· Registered
763 Posts
If this is the case, it might be attractive to single spool owners. Far more than missing a second circuit on my 316 I found the lack of float maddening when trying to use a blade. I relegated that machine to snowblower only duty once I got a 318.
Did you have a older Deere 54 Blade or a quick hitch? There's a mechanical float built into the blade lift linkage on the older non quick hitch 54's

· Registered
1,284 Posts
Guys, in case I wasn't clear. You can't just swap the spools internally and move float to another circuit.

I did it and the time consuming PITA of switching it back.

Learn from me. :p

1 - 14 of 14 Posts