Weekend Freedom Machines banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I disassembled my K321 to replace a broken piston rod, and found that my front PTO clutch seems quite worn (pics below). I wasn't having trouble with the clutch prior to disassembly, but since I have it apart I'm wondering if I should/need to replace the clutch. If so, is there an aftermarket replacement? I searched around and found a lot of aftermarket stuff for other JD clutches, but not this one. The OEM is a wee bit pricey.

IMG_3581.jpg IMG_3582.jpg

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
That appears to be an Orgura brand which costs a little less than a Warner to fit the 314. There should be a sticker on the back of the coil to identify the brand and part number. Also look up the JD part number to use as reference for searching for a replacement.
There are some replacements made like most clutches on vertical shaft engines. They have two bearings and do not bolt to the block. You have to make your own stop or anchor for the armature.

I would say Stens has a direct replacement for the 314 and may be a little less expensive than JD.
Check out OX Clutch if you are willing to use one that is not OEM and can make a suitable stop. I understand they are good with answering questions about mounting this type to your machine.

On the other hand, I would use the clutch you have if it was working properly. Just check the bearing to make sure it is smooth turning and not dry or noisy. Check the resistance of the field coil with an Ohm meter. Probably should be in the 3.5-4.5 range. Check the manual to be sure of the specs and how to test it. Use a flat file or stone to remove the burrs that may be on the faces of the rotor and armature. This makes the air gap procedure more accurate when you put it back on the engine. Looks like normal wear, nothing to worry about for the near future.

tommyhawk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That appears to be an Orgura brand which costs a little less than a Warner to fit the 314. There should be a sticker on the back of the coil to identify the brand and part number. Also look up the JD part number to use as reference for searching for a replacement.
There are some replacements made like most clutches on vertical shaft engines. They have two bearings and do not bolt to the block. You have to make your own stop or anchor for the armature.

I would say Stens has a direct replacement for the 314 and may be a little less expensive than JD.
Check out OX Clutch if you are willing to use one that is not OEM and can make a suitable stop. I understand they are good with answering questions about mounting this type to your machine.

On the other hand, I would use the clutch you have if it was working properly. Just check the bearing to make sure it is smooth turning and not dry or noisy. Check the resistance of the field coil with an Ohm meter. Probably should be in the 3.5-4.5 range. Check the manual to be sure of the specs and how to test it. Use a flat file or stone to remove the burrs that may be on the faces of the rotor and armature. This makes the air gap procedure more accurate when you put it back on the engine. Looks like normal wear, nothing to worry about for the near future.

tommyhawk
Thanks for the advice. Yes, it's an Ogura MA-GT-JD. The coil has a resistance of 3.5 Ω, and I'll check whether that's okay but guessing yes since it worked well before taking it off. The bearing is dry, and a new one is $6 so I'll just replace that. Everything else looks good. I'll see how much more life I can get from the old clutch.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts