Weekend Freedom Machines banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm thinking of just trying the John Deere spray paint on the 318 I'm working on. Would it be the classic or ag and turf green thanks. I know this has been discussed alot, but can't recall.

·
Premium Member
4,317 Posts
Ag is what I have always used Matt

·
Registered
376 Posts
The classic is a shade darker and is what was used on more of the antique stuff, tractors that is.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
I can't find any documented proof, but my understanding is the older farm tractors with lead based paint used a slightly darker green paint. When JD stopped using lead based, they called the new lead free paint "Classic Green" to be used on older ag equipment, while newer L&G's use "Ag and Turf." Without documentation, I can't say if I'm 100% right or 100% wrong! Just my thoughts/understandings! Bob

·
Registered
1989 318
613 Posts
I was up at the local Deere dealer the other day and while waiting for a counter person I perused the display racks and they had green and yellow, I don't recall seeing 2 shades of green? Their paint is pricey, but it is good. I first used it on my 110 years ago and was very impressed by how it covered.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
Tom, I'd think few, if any, dealers would stock the classic green. This would have a low sales volume as it's used primarily on the letter series tractors, A's, B's, L's, etc. As pricey as it is, prolly still cheaper to buy gallon cans. How many spray cans to paint an "A"? Bob

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How many cans you guessing to paint 318? I was hoping 3 might get it at 10+ a can. Heard it goes quite a ways.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
Hmm, just a wag on my part, but I'd say closer to 7. You've got fender pan, pedestal, 2 side covers, plus shroud up front. Not sure how paint will hold up a fiber hood, so not considering that. . Thinking 2 coats, and 6 cans may or may not make it.
If you want to save few $$, use Rustoleum Farm & Equipment John Deere Green. It's a VERY close color match, but I don't believe it's quite as hard. Use this for first coat and JD paint for top coat. What ever you choose, find a piece of scrap metal and spray that also. This will tell you if paints are compatible! I've always used Rustoleum, so no first hand knowledge. If you're going to clear coat, let green dry at least a week, then spray scrap metal previously painted. Not so much with green, but I've had a lot of yellow wrinkle if cleared too soon. Bob

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
AND! How about the underside of the pan and the inside "normally" unseen panels? For me, I'd go the extra mile... $$$!...and do it. Bob

·
Registered
376 Posts
The valspar from tractor supply is good option as well for half the price. I’m sure it’s close enough especially for a worker. I can’t tell the difference. Someone has to make it for mother Deere.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I don’t know what brand it was but years ago my father in law touched up his 112 and after a few years it turned blue, so I only use the Deere paint.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
I don’t know what brand it was but years ago my father in law touched up his 112 and after a few years it turned blue, so I only use the Deere paint.
I purchased a ‘69 140 H3 That had several blue spots at random places. I’m guessing this is why.

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
All good points so far, key to good coverage and satisfying to the eye is small test coats...gotta check the chemistry compatibility. If you're ever wondering which primer to use, self-etching light green is a good choice for any job...except plastics, must be metal. Very nice for aluminum.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So if I'm just going for a nice freshen up on this one and no parade tractor can I lightly sand the green, roughen up a bit and go over with JD rattle can, not even use primer? Just a thought on this one, I've got enough time tied up in the onan rebuild! Thanks.

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
Sure. If there's no bare metal showing that's a good option. If you have bare metal and hints of rust, sand that out, prime and hit it with the color coat. The heel points on my tractors always get worn down to bare metal...considering some brush on bedliner when I get motivated to go at it on my 430 and 212. Replaced the foot treads with the precut ones, and now the bare heel spots are bothering me some.

·
Registered
1979 John Deere 214, 1972 140 h1
76 Posts
I've been painting on my 140 with a rattle can the last few weeks. I bought Vansickle brand paint. They make it in aerosol and liquid. First time I'd used that brand. I highly recommend it. Takes a long time to dry but it gets really hard.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts