Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need new tires for the front of my 420. Right now I have turf tires on the front of my 300. I use a 4 way 54" blade on it to plow my driveway. If the blade is angled, the front of the 300 easily slides sideways. This coming winter, I plan to use the 420 for plowing duties. I'm thinking ag tires on the front might help grip the snow and prevent the tractor from slipping sideways? Also, I really like the look of ag tires on the front and rear. My concern is this: Are the ag tires on the front going to tear up my lawn when I mow? I mow much slower than most people. Also I can't seem to find any ag tires in 18 X 8.50-8. I see plenty of 18 x 9.50-8 ag tires, but I think they'll be too wide. Thoughts?

·
Registered
205 Posts
No I wouldn't do that. Tri ribs or an HDAP or knock off HDAP would be best.
I Have turfs on the front of my 318 and they work fine with the blower. I have turfs on my 300 with a plow and yes it slides a bit when I'm not in float mode. Add some weight to the front wheels will help.
20# weights and loaded HDAP knockoffs on the rear of my 318 worked great this year with turfs on the front.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Vredstein V61

Reactions: bloodrunsgreen

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I picked up a set ag tires for the front. Same issue with them when plowing with the blade angled. Heavy wet snow and all the weight of it seems to lift the front up.
So I switched them to my other tractor with the mini payloader on it. On there they worked really good.
I've had that tractor on the lawn cleaning up this spring. If you turn tight, the front ags leave Mark's and tear the grass up.
Front ags look good and all, and they have use, on a fel.
Ymmv.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Just remembered, if you do go R1 tires (assuming that’s what you mean as technically R3’s are used in Ag on sod farms) flip them the opposite of how they are on powered axles.

Reactions: dhager4692

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've been looking around online for ag tires and HDAP tires for a few hours now. I can't find anything other than traditional turf tires in 18x8.50-8, which is what my 420 takes on the front. Anybody know where I can get something OTHER than a turf tire in this size?

·
Registered
1,385 Posts

·
Registered
1,385 Posts

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
on the front ag tires are not going to tear into you yard very much as they are not going to be scuffing the grass per say like a rear tire does when your in a tight turn. How picky are you about your yard?

I run tractor tread on my 140 on all 4 corners and its fine for mowing.
you spin a rear tire over though for what ever reason your bringing up dirt in a hurry though.

also for your yard are you making tight turns or doing big sweeping turn around area's?

Sanding yard or good black dirt as well?

i think the v61 are what you'll be wanting as they provide the holding edge the best for the sideway's force your getting when plowing snow at a angle.

the tractor treads will work and if you like the looks of them the best go that route.
performance VS looks Is a better looking tire worth the 20% hit you'll take in performance?

if its 1.5 hours of cold seat time plowing snow because you can only take 1/2 blade passes due to plow steer. or is the driveway plowing a 20min of seat time and if it gets pushed out to 30 min no big deal?

good luck with what ever you decide to due!

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
IMO V61’s look right and look ‘tuff (is that how the kids say it?) on a GT, pretty much the same tread as a big 2wd and looks at home on a little 2wd.

edit: New 18x8.50-8 3-Rib Front Tire

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have the rib tires and tractor cleats on the rear of a 420 pushing a 47 snow blower. No real problem unless I want to make a tight turn with the blower down. It will push. Not too bad in float mode but out of float it will definitely push since the weight is now more on the blower and less on the front tires.
Front wheel weights helped negate the push somewhat.
Once I understood what I could not do I adjusted accordingly which really means no sudden moves. :)
Stay in float mode or back off the pressure in normal mode. That last 1/16 of an inch isn't worth the trouble.

Edit: I should say I don't have issues with the rib tires on my lawn which admittedly is not the greatest unless it is right after a rain day. Soft ground I will see impressions. Dry, no sweat.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I need new tires for the front of my 420. Right now I have turf tires on the front of my 300. I use a 4 way 54" blade on it to plow my driveway. If the blade is angled, the front of the 300 easily slides sideways. This coming winter, I plan to use the 420 for plowing duties. I'm thinking ag tires on the front might help grip the snow and prevent the tractor from slipping sideways? Also, I really like the look of ag tires on the front and rear. My concern is this: Are the ag tires on the front going to tear up my lawn when I mow? I mow much slower than most people. Also I can't seem to find any ag tires in 18 X 8.50-8. I see plenty of 18 x 9.50-8 ag tires, but I think they'll be too wide. Thoughts?
Stick with your turf tires if you want to protect your lawn and add some weight to the front end. Walmart sells a 50 below antifreeze for RV fresh water systems that is excellent for filling tires and it's cheap.The fronts will hold a little less than 2 gallons each and give you about 14 lbs extra per tire. If you still need more they sell PVC weight attachment containers you fill with sand or concrete and add 45 to 70 lbs to the front end as well. Agg tires even without weight are going to tare the lawn up unless you take VERY wide slow turns or have property in death valley.
af.JPG

·
Registered
633 Posts
I had a set of Carlisle Sno-hogs on my old 110. They did pretty well. Never bothered the lawn when I mowed with them. That thing would run right up a tree if you let it.

·
Registered
1975 John Deere 400, 1976 John Deere 400. 1980 John Deere 400
20 Posts
i know this is a late post on this thread but i have to say, i have several machines with 3 sets of tires. so far id say in a deep loose snow or a wet snow my bar tires do really well on my 400. even if its deep, the turf tires seem to clog and ski with or without weights.

·
Registered
4,992 Posts
learn to brake steer unless you can fit about 200-800 lbs to the front frame

turfs n chains for snow/ice
lugs for dirt plowing
dont matter much what you use for flat mowing duty

tri ribs help with manual steering and wont cut your lawn unless you drive fast
v61 with a bike chain in the grooves make for nice ice tires

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
Knotty! How ya be? Good to see you posting. A bike chain in the grooves? That's a new one to me. I agree on turfs and chains. Best overall winter traction combo I ever used. The turfs provide a flat surface so the chains are digging in across the whole tread width. Kinda like the old paddle style steel wheels on antique tractors do.

My experience on this topic is the opposite of what you might expect. I mow with a 420 that has 1/2 bald turfs on the front. They wore unevenly side to side because some genius used imperial size bearings that were too big on the outer ends of the hubs and the correct metric bearings on the inner sides. But it will still turn so sharp I feel like I'm gonna fall off sometimes. No apparent sliding straight ahead. It's actually kinda fun. That's at full mowing speed too.

My 400's have the turning radius of a school bus and yet they still snowplow straight ahead if I'm moving fast with regular turf tires on the front when mowing. You'd think the wider turns would eliminate the sliding but it doesn't. Not all of it anyway. It will turn sharper if I slow right down but I usually don't.

I have V61's on one of my 400's and I'd have them on all my tractors if they weren't so pricey. Best front tires I ever had. Can't beat the ubiquitous Carlisle turfs for cost though.

learn to brake steer unless you can fit about 200-800 lbs to the front frame

turfs n chains for snow/ice
lugs for dirt plowing
dont matter much what you use for flat mowing duty

tri ribs help with manual steering and wont cut your lawn unless you drive fast
v61 with a bike chain in the grooves make for nice ice tires

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
These Mudlite ATV buns are the 2nd best winter traction tires I ever had. The aggressive rubber treads bite pretty well with the weight I have on it. They're the roughest riding tires I ever had though and they will dig holes like a groundhog on speed in turf or dirt. I don't mow with that 400 though. If I did these tires would tear up a lawn pretty quick.

·
Registered
4,992 Posts
Knotty! How ya be? Good to see you posting. A bike chain in the grooves? That's a new one to me. I agree on turfs and chains. Best overall winter traction combo I ever used. The turfs provide a flat surface so the chains are digging in across the whole tread width. Kinda like the old paddle style steel wheels on antique tractors do.

My experience on this topic is the opposite of what you might expect. I mow with a 420 that has 1/2 bald turfs on the front. They wore unevenly side to side because some genius used imperial size bearings that were too big on the outer ends of the hubs and the correct metric bearings on the inner sides. But it will still turn so sharp I feel like I'm gonna fall off sometimes. No apparent sliding straight ahead. It's actually kinda fun. That's at full mowing speed too.

My 400's have the turning radius of a school bus and yet they still snowplow straight ahead if I'm moving fast with regular turf tires on the front when mowing. You'd think the wider turns would eliminate the sliding but it doesn't. Not all of it anyway. It will turn sharper if I slow right down but I usually don't.

I have V61's on one of my 400's and I'd have them on all my tractors if they weren't so pricey. Best front tires I ever had. Can't beat the ubiquitous Carlisle turfs for cost though.
I am doing great. Have not been on much due to work being busy.

Reactions: DEERE317
1 - 20 of 20 Posts