Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 20 of 155 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I purchased an Agria tractor with a B&S engine and a Peerless / Tecumseh 3-speed transmission. It was standing in a backyard for several month. The engine was not running and the transmission is (still) leaking.
On my holidays I cleaned the whole tractor and disassembled the engine and carb, ground in the valves, set up valve clearance and carburetor.

Agria 4600 - 11 HP

Briggs motor before disassembly

Refurbished and ground valves

All enginge parts including new seals and sealing rings

Back in the tractor

My next job is to overhaul the transmission. -> leaking and sounds strange.
Maybe I have to cut the gaskets by myself. They are only available in the US.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Wow you got that one lung’r all tore down and rebuilt. Good job.

Reactions: Stefan

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks
The root cause was that the inlet valve didn‘t seal properly and the fuel/air mixture exploded in the Port. So there was no other way to fix it.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
New plan:
Since there are a lot of seals in the Peerless transmission, I am hoping to find a Rebuild Kit with all o-rings and gaskets that are necessary.
Even if I am not experienced when it comes to deliveries (customs...) from the States, I've just contacted a dealer in the US to ask for payment and the shipping costs. Keep the fingers crossed...

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I thought the paintjob was not that difficult. But I discovered a lot of rust underneath the paint, because there was no primer. So I covered all sheet metal parts with paint stripper and painted it with primer.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The paintjob is almost done. Hope I will be able to finish it next weekend.
But there are bad news on the Peerless gasket kit. The shop is not offering a shipping to Germany.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Bummer on the gasket. Good job getting rid of the rust.

·
Registered
1989 318
2,703 Posts
What do you mean the Peerless gasket place can't ship to Germany? I can ship to Germany. Anyone can ship to Germany right?

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
What do you mean the Peerless gasket place can't ship to Germany? I can ship to Germany. Anyone can ship to Germany right?
Perhaps you could ship it to him then?

·
Super Moderator
4,361 Posts
I am surprised that he couldn't find it in Europe as the tractor was built in Spain. But with a little more information on the transmission I bet we could find the kit he needs and ship it to him.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for your answers.
I already found a shop which offers the complete rebuild kit (gaskets, o-rings, sealing rings) but this shop is located in the States and it doesn‘t provide a delivery to Germany.

Here’s the link.

And here is the transmission code.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Here is the model plate. Roper Coperation

And the engine code

Over the past 40 years the fenders became quite rusty inside. I thought it is a good idea to protect it with underfloor protection.

Hood with the Agria logos from the plotter.

The hood and grill is back on the frame

Logo

This is how the tractor is looking now

·
Registered
1989 318
2,703 Posts
Very nice restoration you have going there Stefan

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Today I finished the assembly of the chassis and checked the top speed which is a little bit too slow. It is 4 Kilometres (2,5 miles) per hour - full throttle and in 3rd gear. The Uniropa is running 8 km/h (5 mph). So I will calculate the perfect ratio and replace the pulley with a smaller one to get up to 8 - 10 km/h (5 - 6 mph).

Here are some bad news on the tranny. I disassembled it to find the oil leak. The reason was not a gasket, it was a crack in the housing. But there was no visual damage on the outside, so I thought there must be something wrong with the gears. When i drained the oil, there were a lot of chips on the drain plug. After the disassembly I detected two broken gears. Maybe one got broken due to fatigue and the particles in the oil broke the other gear...
The spares are (believe it or not) not available in Germany. But they are offered on Ebay in the States. Maybe I need anybodies help here to purchase it...

Fenders and footrests on, Peerless off

Tecumseh / Peerless 658A

Here's the crack...

...and the gears

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
You might be able to repair the crack in the case with the aluminum welding rods that only require a propane torch. Similar to aluminum brazing. Other easier option is the clean really good and use an aluminum oil pan type JB Weld.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
You might be able to repair the crack in the case with the aluminum welding rods that only require a propane torch. Similar to aluminum brazing. Other easier option is the clean really good and use an aluminum oil pan type JB Weld.
I know what you mean. My dad bought one of these ’low temperature‘ repair kits on a fair for classic cars. The base metal has to be hot but not as hot as TIG welding. I haven’t tried this by now and that‘ll be my first option. If it doesn‘t work the JB WELD is my plan B.

The plotter cut the case and gear lever gaskets pretty well. However, it‘s a little tricky to write a program with that software. On a normal CNC software the coordinate of a circle is always in the center. In this software it’s the upper left point.

So I was writing the program for the lever by myself and digitalized the old gasket for the housing (it could be removed on one piece) to let the Software do the work.

Gear lever gasket

Digitalization of the housing gasket with camera and tripod

Gasket is beeing cut by the plotter

Done

·
Registered
1989 318
2,703 Posts
That is very cool! So how does the plotter cut the gasket material?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
There‘s a small blade, similar like a scalpel, which is operated/controlled by the plotter.
You only have to adjust the length of the blade and the cutting force.

You may import a black and white drawing and let the software calculate the outlines. Or you may write the program by yourself. The auto calculation went much better than I thought it would be.

Silhouette Portrait 3 is the name of the plotter.

1 - 20 of 155 Posts