Weekend Freedom Machines banner
141 - 155 of 155 Posts

·
Registered
7,550 Posts
If you have time give this a try and see how accurate it is.
Colorfulness Rectangle Font Slope Parallel

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #142 ·
You mean the GPS speedometer is not as accurate as it should be?
It‘s an app on my smartphone and I already measured the top speed with it before I did the pulley swap.
So I think the values are comparable.

I found an online program for this calculation too.
Maybe I will double check the speed with that tool.

Geschwindigkeit, Zeit und Strecke berechnen - Formel & Rechner

·
Registered
7,550 Posts
I meant see how accurate the chart I posted is to what the GPS says. The chart is subject to typos and errors. Was just curious. Don't worry about it.

You mean the GPS speedometer is not as accurate as it should be?
It‘s an app on my smartphone and I already measured the top speed with it before I did the pulley swap.
So I think the values are comparable.

I found an online program for this calculation too.
Maybe I will double check the speed with that tool.

Geschwindigkeit, Zeit und Strecke berechnen - Formel & Rechner

·
Registered
7,550 Posts
Good work Stephan. You guys have really fancy note paper over there.

·
Registered
1989 318
2,702 Posts
And Stefan, why do you make your '1' look like an upside-down slanted V?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #147 ·
Good work Stephan. You guys have really fancy note paper over there.
This is my memo board in the kitchen. I usually take it for my grocery list.

And Stefan, why do you make your '1' look like an upside-down slanted V?
A Chinese colleague told me to write a 1 not lika a 1 because of "translation errors".
In China a 1 is a I and a 1 might be understood as a 7. :D
So I extended the first line just to be sure.

But now it doesn’t matter since the whole communication is made with the computer. No handwritten notes anymore.
"You can’t teach an old dog new tricks."

·
Registered
1989 318
2,702 Posts
Seems to me that the Europeans also add a slash to a '7' to differentiate it from a '1'

Rectangle Font Parallel Logo Slope

·
Registered
2,713 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,715 Posts
I have been slashing my handwritten sevens for years now -- just another artifact of an engineering career. And it is not uncommon to slash zeros to make them distinct from the letter O in handwritten (lettered) text since no lower case is used. If yo need to emphasize what letters are actual capitals, you underscore them. My wife struggles with this concept, and always complains about my handwritten communications -- so the computer gets lots of use for household documentation. ;)

Other conventions that are common pretty much worldwide is that printed serial numbers should not contain the letters I or O since they can be ambiguous with one and zero...

The world is vague enough without our helping it with poor penmanship...

Chuck

·
Registered
1989 318
2,702 Posts
I also slash my 7 & 0 plus I print in Caps always, and yes, we are weird. I remember as a child reading my mother's grocery list which she wrote in cursive, all the words looked the same. I wish I had one of those lists for old-time sakes.

·
Super Moderator
4,361 Posts
Actually "Palmer Method" handwriting is quite attractive and very legible...I just have never been any good at writing that way/style.
This is what I was taught in the one room schoolhouse I was educated in. My cursive was good at that time but suffers from lack of use. My sisters had beautiful cursive, I can still picture it in my mind.

Reactions: army

·
Registered
7,550 Posts
I attempted to win the cursive writing contest for the fall fair. for several years. Some girl always won though. They are better at it, just like they are at dancing.

·
Registered
7,550 Posts
Occasionally my wife will go full tilt with calligraphy and me leave a note. I have to try and read it in case it's important. Man she can write fancy. She had a long career as a graphic artist. To her writing like that is as easy as sharpening mower blades is to us.

141 - 155 of 155 Posts