Weekend Freedom Machines banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
I use my 18.5 CFM Eagle compressor most of the time. It's the exact same compressor Snap-On sold at one time. I ran a 'temporary' 1/2" rubber line to my middle bay years ago and connected it to a 50 ft hose reel. Haven't installed a hard line yet. Works just fine but a permanent solution is on my to-do list.

I have this old Atlas huffer over in my hoist bay too. It still has the original 2 HP 220V industrial strength motor but was a 2 cyl pump till I put a 3 cyl pump on it years ago. I think it's about 17 or 18 CFM too. Runs a lot quieter than the 5 HP Eagle. The Atlas motor seems to run about half the RPM the Eagle does. I can't tell the difference between them if I'm sandblasting.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I use my 18.5 CFM Eagle compressor most of the time. It's the exact same compressor Snap-On sold at one time. I ran a 'temporary' 1/2" rubber line to my middle bay years ago and connected it to a 50 ft hose reel. Haven't installed a hard line yet. Works just fine but a permanent solution is on my to-do list.
View attachment 261049

I have this old Atlas huffer over in my hoist bay too. It still has the original 2 HP 220V industrial strength motor but was a 2 cyl pump till I put a 3 cyl pump on it years ago. I think it's about 17 or 18 CFM too. Runs a lot quieter than the 5 HP Eagle. The Atlas motor seems to run about half the RPM the Eagle does. I can't tell the difference between them if I'm sandblasting.
View attachment 261050
That's what I did. Cheap rubber hose from TSC and a few pipe clamps

·
Registered
569 Posts
I have a 3/8" hose from my basement oil- less compressor over to my reloading/shop room. All I use it for is a blow gun and very occasionally a die grinder.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
There was a time when all I had for a compressor was a little 12V unit off a Champion road grader. No tank. Just the pump. Why Champion thought that was a good idea is still a mystery to me. It would take forever to pump up a grader tire with a dinky little huffer like that. I switched to a 110V refrigerator compressor after that and it was pretty bad too. I bought a little 3 HP compressor with a 20 gal tank eventually and thought I was in heaven. Now I have two big stationary compressors in the shop, another one powered by a 4 cyl gas Ford tractor engine and take all 3 for granted. I shouldn't but I do.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I bought a Dewalt 60 gallon gallon compressor for my small outdoor shop primarily to run my cabinet blaster but also for whatever I come across. I still don't have it plumbed even though I bought the Rapidair kit a month ago.

·
Registered
337 Posts
This compressor was thrown together from parts.The compressor is from a tire service truck that was run off the PTO and it's run with a 5 hp motor.Its on at 125 and off at 175 and the other compressor kicks on at 90 psi but it's never came on yet.I also have a Deere powered 250 cfm Grimmer Shmidt for large blasting jobs.I'm in the process of installing a solenoid valve so that I can close the air valve and turn off the compressor at the same time from inside the shop.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
My mobile huffer has a 2 speed manual transmission between the 4 cyl Ford 800 tractor engine and the big 3 cyl pump. If I rev the 40 HP engine wide open and put it in high gear it will maintain 160 PSI while blasting. But I started running it about 100-110 PSI after a discussion here which caused me to think more about longevity than raw blasting power. It had a Ford 800 hood and grill too but that stuff is on my 800 now.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts