Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a better setup for air filters on these machines? It looked like there could maybe be a couple applicable styles over the lifespan of the machine. The filter is a sealed housing for one time use and they're over $50 each. I usually change it once a year before the winter season.

Rectangle Auto part Automotive tire Automotive wheel system Cylinder

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
Options are somewhat limited in this. I've had my 430 for several years and still using the two-stage filter it came with, but have changed the inner filter once at least. But it isn't heavily used, or used in dusty/dirty conditions. I think the one you show is for the earlier, smaller diesels...330, 332 and maybe the gas 322. No experience on how they work or last however. Following along to see what you/I can learn from others on this forum.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Options are somewhat limited in this. I've had my 430 for several years and still using the two-stage filter it came with, but have changed the inner filter once at least. But it isn't heavily used, or used in dusty/dirty conditions. I think the one you show is for the earlier, smaller diesels...330, 332 and maybe the gas 322. No experience on how they work or last however. Following along to see what you/I can learn from others on this forum.
That is the filter spec'd in my 430 manual. I have an "early" 430. Would you happen to have the part number to the one you used with yours?

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm guessing you had this setup, it uses this housing: AM108240 :
Font Auto part Illustration Drawing Art

There is also this one that specs two different setups actually (for the earlier model numbers
Part Number
AM104233
Qty Req

Serial No.
475001-__

Part Number
AM100258
Qty Req

Serial No.
__-475000

:
Font Auto part Sharing Cylinder Diagram

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
Yeah, the first diagram is what I have...the smaller inside filter element is about $24 from Deere. They don't show the price for the larger housing though, or the filter duct (No. 9, required)...so I bet they're pricey. My 322 has the same setup as the first diagram...makes sense, it's a Yanmar, but a gas Yanmar.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Livesoccer, by better do you mean filters more than the stock setup? I don't know if the filtration quality and airflow specs are published for the stock setup but perhaps someone on the forum might know.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I also like the newer style with the gauge on it 👍🏻
Does the gauge give a figure/number or does it simply "flip" to a restricted symbol/sign/color? I'm curious now. You can fit them to any of the filters according the the schematics. It is simply the coupler that has the fitting for it.

I'm not a fan of K&N reusable filters. They do a piss poor job IMO. I did think of building an aluminum house to fit a universal filter, but I'll probably just stick with the stock filter since there wasn't really a clear cut answer on this one. It's not that bad of a price, but thought it I could save half or so then it may be worth changing it up.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
THanks. That photo shows it perfectly. I had looked up some for the older model, but it wasn't exactly clear how it worked. I may try and find the newer style filter housing. I do like the idea of a primary and secondary filter.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
The 300 series was built for 7-8 years approximately. One of mine had so much rust that the serial number tag was gone. One of the ways of identifying the approximate year is the shock on the hydro lever as they used 4 different styles. This one has the rev 3 dampener and the brake switch that must be pushed to start, thinking it’s somewhere around 1989

·
Registered
545 Posts
I bought a new air box for my 332 not long ago from my dealer. The one with the dual stage filters. It was $113, and it came with the pair of filters (normally $50 for the pair). Didn't have the file minder though, do that was another 60 bucks.

BTW. The same airbox 3 years shows $86...

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.