Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to know what is everything I need to stop this from happening again..I understand there is a resistor you can get from deere but have also heard there is a 2nd part I would need. Can somebody provide me with part numbers?

·
Registered
633 Posts
I think you mean the AM107421 relay kit? (if you don't want to give Deere $50-60 you can build it yourself for around $15, just some wires, connectors and a standard relay)

The only other thing I know of is the updated voltage regulator, I doubt if you need one, you could even find the old version. (IIRC it was an "all temperature" upgrade, not sure why the original would NOT have been all temperature, but...)

·
Premium Member
8,813 Posts
The origin of many of the alternator and charging failures and wire melting episodes is of course overcharging (which itself is defined as too much current for too long a time from the alternator...) This overcharging is in part due to the sense voltage of the standard harness including parasitic voltage drops from aging components in the tractor harness such s the ignition switch -- hence the relay that gets added. The oldest factory regulator was not temp compensated either -- hence the new style regulator. But the biggest single issue that starts the avalanche is a battery that is failing or has low electrolyte...replacing a questionable battery that is several years old is a good method of preventative maintenance on these systems. JMHO...

Those owners that have cabs/extra lighting and work long sessions removing snow are more likely to have some issues show up over time, so maintenance is key with the charging system, just like it is with the cooling system and the rest of the tractor. These are fine machines and show great longevity if kept in good shape -- I certainly have enjoyed my 322 tractors...

Chuck

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think you mean the AM107421 relay kit? (if you don't want to give Deere $50-60 you can build it yourself for around $15, just some wires, connectors and a standard relay)

The only other thing I know of is the updated voltage regulator, I doubt if you need one, you could even find the old version. (IIRC it was an "all temperature" upgrade, not sure why the original would NOT have been all temperature, but...)

The dealer looked up that part number and nothing came up..did the number change?

·
Registered
633 Posts
I'm surprised it wouldn't x-ref a newer number, have them look up "Starter improvement relay"

I just searched on my dealers site and it comes up. "wiring harness" $54.32

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cool sorry it's taken me so long to reply my account was screwed up..is this a pretty straight forward deal? To install the relay

·
Registered
633 Posts
It's pretty straight forward. Here is a pic of the Deere instruction sheet, you can find the original easily with Google. (Most likely it will have been posted by Chuckv). I added the better diagram, but it was drawn for a standard $10 APS relay. Not sure what instructions come with the Deere kit.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
You do need to be careful of wire colors.
The color changes at VR connector.
The tractor harness side is green, that's the vr sense wire. But it changes color going into VR.
On VR its yellow wire.
This pic is wired correctly, before relay installation.

It's the green and yellow wires that get connected to relay.
The tractor side green to relay terminal 86.
The VR side yellow to relay terminal 87.

Hope that makes sense, lol.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You do need to be careful of wire colors.
The color changes at VR connector.
The tractor harness side is green, that's the vr sense wire. But it changes color going into VR.
On VR its yellow wire.
This pic is wired correctly, before relay installation.
View attachment 268152

It's the green and yellow wires that get connected to relay.
The tractor side green to relay terminal 86.
The VR side yellow to relay terminal 87.

Hope that makes sense, lol.
Ok thanks

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Look at the bottom of the relay, it should numbers by each terminal identifying them.
Connect wires accordingly.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This relay will fix my problem correct? There's a bunch of people on Facebook telling me it only works on the onan motors

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Well if all the other items are working and have good clean connections, it should. I cant say 100% cause I didnt do the work.
I repaired my 332 last year and have about 80 hours run time. No issues so far with melted wires.
If you use the search bar for this issue, you will find a bunch of threads on it. Going back years and years, I relied on those members knowledge.

Reactions: 1990 332

·
Super Moderator
3,956 Posts
This relay will fix my problem correct? There's a bunch of people on Facebook telling me it only works on the onan motors
I believe they are talking about the starter improvement kit which does work on Onan motors for the starter solenoid.What you are working on is the voltage rectifier which solves a different problem.

·
Premium Member
8,813 Posts
1990 332,

The relay being discussed here is indeed meant to address the overcharging issue/melted wires/battery 'boiling' issues on the small Yanmar engines like your 332.

It is a bit confusing, in that this same relay part is also used on the starter improvement fix for the solenoid shift starters that include the 318 Onan among others. The wiring changes for that application is entirely different, of course. A starter improvement relay can be of benefit on the 318, 316 Onan, 420, F915 and F930, and all the Kawasaki engined lawn tractors except the 130, plus the rear engined riders.

Attached below is the complete text of the original "battery boiling" service bulletin showing and describing the installation of the relay to address the overcharge issues. Thanks to Drafter for posting a better wiring illustration.

Chuck

Attachments

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Chuckv I'm not good at reading wiring diagrams do you have a picture of it installed? That way I know exactly what wires go where

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
1990 332,

The relay being discussed here is indeed meant to address the overcharging issue/melted wires/battery 'boiling' issues on the small Yanmar engines like your 332.

It is a bit confusing, in that this same relay part is also used on the starter improvement fix for the solenoid shift starters that include the 318 Onan among others. The wiring changes for that application is entirely different, of course. A starter improvement relay can be of benefit on the 318, 316 Onan, 420, F915 and F930, and all the Kawasaki engined lawn tractors except the 130, plus the rear engined riders.

Attached below is the complete text of the original "battery boiling" service bulletin showing and describing the installation of the relay to address the overcharge issues. Thanks to Drafter for posting a better wiring illustration.

Chuck
The link you sent me is for the 322 is it the same as the 332?

1 - 20 of 53 Posts