Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
1 Posts
I would not put any in my oil!
Sea foam has worked great on clogged injectors
when nothing else would work.Saved me from changing injectors many times on cars that were
so bad cylinders were flooding and misfiring.
Just add 1/3 or so can to fuel tank.

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
I just wonder why you would want to put it in the oil.
Is it dirty? Its a diesel, its going to be...
Or do you think you have sludge in there you want to clean out?

Personally, Id run a good synthetic diesel oil in it, and change it more often if I were worried about it...that will clean it better.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I don't think I would go with SeaFoam in the oil. NAPA carries a product for use in cars before you change the oil that is supposed to knock the crud loose so it all flushes out with the oil. You drain a quart or so and put this stuff in and run for a while. The NAPA parts guy swears by it. It is on the shelf by the oil in Burlington, WI
On that note, I have also heard bad things about doing this (with switching back and for between detergent and non-detergent oil) bc it will knock crud loose and plug up oil passages.
If you want to run it like that, I would only put in about a quarter bottle and NOT RUN IT FOR A LONG TIME. SeaFoam is mostly petroleum distillate (READ: BrakeKleen, Lighter Fluid, etc) which are a strong solvent. I could see cleaning stuff, but also cleaning stuff too good that it doesn't get oil.
I am with Jim, I run Rottella T syn 15w40 (?) in my Powerstroke and it is great. Easier starts esp in winter and pretty quite (for a Powerstroke).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.