Weekend Freedom Machines banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering what application this 532 Kohler exhaust was originally intended for. Seems like it would be something where the engine isn't enclosed or has vents, like on a reefer maybe. I was actually looking for options to deal with the VG exhaust on my 420 when I ran across it.

Reactions: DEERE317

·
Registered
282 Posts
I have seen one similar to that on a welder/generator.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The larger engines like the K532, K582, or other similar "large" small engines like the Wisconsin Inline 2's and V4's, were commonly used in applications where they run out in the open, where there aren't any side panels or covers other than cooling shrouds. That includes, as stated above, large welders, but also large generators, and certain pull-behind type implements like a flail mower, and the Wisconsin V4's made it onto pull-behind bean combines.

Running out in the open as such eliminates the need for any specific exhaust system routed to clear any sheetmetal.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
This K582 was in my possession at one time. I don't know what it had been used for, but certainly some type of outdoor power. It's larger than the average grain auger engine, but that's one possibility.

Attachments

·
Registered
580 Posts
The larger engines like the K532, K582, or other similar "large" small engines like the Wisconsin Inline 2's and V4's, were commonly used in applications where they run out in the open, where there aren't any side panels or covers other than cooling shrouds. That includes, as stated above, large welders, but also large generators, and certain pull-behind type implements like a flail mower, and the Wisconsin V4's made it onto pull-behind bean combines.

Running out in the open as such eliminates the need for any specific exhaust system routed to clear any sheetmetal.
Those old Wisconsin’s also were used on square balers for a while.
Ours New Holland 66 PTO baler’s manual is for both the PTO and engine Super 66.

·
Registered
580 Posts
This K582 was in my possession at one time. I don't know what it had been used for, but certainly some type of outdoor power. It's larger than the average grain auger engine, but that's one possibility.
If anything it’s on the small side, the truck load out augers I’ve seen have big 27 or 32 hp gas twins

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm not seriously considering separate exhaust pipes and muffs like that on my 420 but it did cross my mind. The cobbled up pipes it has now are pretty irritating. Another option would be a header that both exhaust pipes are T'd into straight out from the heads and 2 elbow type T's on the header to direct the exhaust into the existing muffler. That would be somewhat of a Rube Goldberg solution but not nearly as clunky looking as it is now.

The actual solution is likely gonna be simply replacing the pipes between the heads and muffler with something better. Will be a tight turn so I might have to take it to a muffler shop for that. I have lots of pipe the right size and lots of time and lots of stubbornness so I'm gonna give it a try myself first. First hurdle is my pipe bender doesn't make tight turns like that. It's red but the exact same as this one otherwise. I originally bought it to make a roll bar for a golf cart.

·
Registered
783 Posts
I use pre formed mandrel bent tubing from Amazon. They have nice tight bends and quite an assortment of styles available in both mild steel and stainless. Sized down to the 1-1/4" that we typically need. I get something like this and cut pieces out of it and weld to taste.

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am browsing at Amazon's selection of pre-bent pipes as we speak.. thanks for the tip Jay. Haven't found any yet but I need short pipes shaped like the S's in the KISS logo but not as sharply angled.

I use pre formed mandrel bent tubing from Amazon. They have nice tight bends and quite an assortment of styles available in both mild steel and stainless. Sized down to the 1-1/4" that we typically need. I get something like this and cut pieces out of it and weld to taste.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts