Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Jeremy, the company I work for repairs hyd cylinders, and to be honst the labor charges will make repairing that one not really feasible. Watch for auctions, or you can pick up very reliable replacement (not green) cylinders at many outlets like TSC or Atwoods, or from a hydraulic shop. You just want to match the closed length, open length, and mount style. In the industry, we call them "throw away cylinders" because it cost more to repair than to replace with new.

·
Banned
4 Posts
Jeremy i have did these cylinders before and they are pretty easy. have a machine shop machine off the weld of the end that has the solid shaft on it then it will pull right out go to a hydraulic shop and for about 5 bucks you can buy all the seals. put a ring compressor on the piston and push the piston back in it with the new seals on it then weld it back together. good luck

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Hi Jeremy,
I went through all of this with my power steering cylinder and finally gave in and bought a new one. I had sent it to a hydraulic shop for repair and it would have cost more to rebuild it. They also said they would have to cut the cylinder open to get the right kit. If you can find the parts it can be done, though. Maybe Seth can help you with that. Good luck.

·
Banned
400 Posts
I have also looked into after market cylinders. They can be built to the exact specs of the originals but of course for myself to have a few made is not cost effective. Just like with anything else, if there was a demand for larger quantities the price would come down. It would be nice to get ones that looked like the originals as well.
Richard

·
Banned
211 Posts
I have a question regarding a rockshaft control on an 855. But no point getting into it if this form does not support this model. If you have an 855 & have rockshaft knowledge let me know, please.

Thanks

·
Banned
211 Posts
Roger- I'm aware of the mytractorforum. In fact I am still waiting for them to send me the activation link so I can post my question in their Deere-CUT forum. I guess I just need to wait for some forum moderator over there to clear my join request. In the meantime I thought I might take a shot at it on WFM.

I do understand that these tractors are not L&G.
It's too bad they don't fly here because they are really great workhorse tractors on the larger property or hobby farm. I smell a need here. Maybe I will start my own forum dedicated to the compacts. Thanks.

·
Registered
10,675 Posts
Gerald If you have been waiting a long time for a response on MTF I would try again. When I joined I got a response within a few hours (overnight). I think the problem here is CUTs are so much more money even used that most of the folks here couldn't afford one. They are also for larger sized lawns than most people own here. They are way out of a retired teachers purchasing power anyway and would be way oversized for the one acre of land that I own. Roger

·
Banned
211 Posts
Roger & Terry-
Roger- I sure don't know what's wrong with that MTF forum. I've tried three times now & no one ever responds or sends the activation notice you need in order to post. Also the forum is junked up with all that Google advertising. I will keep trying because I need some help with an issue on my 855. I have a little over 5 acres here to care for. Mainly grass & snow removal & some heavy hauling at times of logs, dirt, fill etc. I don't think it's completely an issue of cost alone to have a CUT. You need what you need. I realize that most people here are hobbyists or restorers as I am one of them as well. I have a little #70 I restored, and a 110 that i hope to do soon. Thanks.

Terry- Im going to take a look at the link you sent me. Maybe its a better place to look for compact help & since it's all JD based it has to be better I would think than MTF that's all mixed up. I like other tractor brands too, but that forum is really a mess of stuff & hard to get thru all the bogus google junk on it. Thanks for the suggestion. I will take a look at it tonight.

·
Administrator
6,322 Posts
MTF was owned by a few individuals, but was sold about a year ago to a big corporation. These guys: http://www.verticalscope.com/power-equipment/ Their moderation has been all over the place since they've been bought out and there are new moderators who want to control it and push aside the older moderators. I was one of the first members there, but it's not the same place. I just don't go there anymore.

Green Tractor Talk is a relatively new site and was started by a couple of guys who got tired of TBN (Tractorbynet). It's a good place and it's growing. They cover mostly the sub-compacts and the compacts, but has just about every category covered. If it was made or is made by John Deere, it's there for the most part.

·
Banned
211 Posts
Terry- I just took a look at greentractortalk & signed up. Have not posted anything there yet, but I will soon. Learning the sight layout. So much cleaner than MTF.

I'm pretty sure as to why I still do not have the activation email frome MTF. Appears they are using Vbulletin software which is really nice forum software. They have it set so that a moderator needs to look at the sign up info & either deny, reject or allow the person to sign up. However if you have a moderator that is sitting on his hands & never bothers to constantly check the new requests, they just sit there going nowhere. And if they are doing all this back biteing as you indicate, then it won't last too long. It appears it's been taken over with one intent in mind which is to turn it into another internet cash cow. Boy will they learn how frugal Jd people are. Thanks for the good directions.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.