Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I acquired a 3TN68 engine recently. In pieces, but looks to be complete. As far as I can tell, and with my research, it is exactly the same as the 3TN66 that is in the 332s. So much so, that many of the engine components are the same part numbers. Including, but not limited to the camshaft, flywheel, indjectors, injection pump, the entire head assembly... It's ≈730cc instead of ≈658cc due to the 68mm bore instead of 66, and rated at 18hp as far as I can tell. It came out of a 3 wheeled golf course mower...thing. I'm thinking I'll rebuild it and install it in the old 332. In addition to some additional cooling features just in case. It has a liquid-liquid engine oil cooler as part of the package; good for the engine oil, but bad for coolant due to it running with little margin as it is.

Some bonus info: Instead of PCV venting to atmosphere, it actually is plumbed to the intake manifold (CARB 1995 compliant, or so the placard says). It uses a different style governor and fuel shutoff solenoid from the 332.

Has anyone ever dealt with this engine before? Or even seen one? The information on the machine they come from is severely lacking. 2653A if you're interested. It appears they made them up through like 2013. TM1554 I still need to order for it.

· Registered
57 Posts
Just saw your post. Not where I can look up anything at the moment. Deere used the 3TN68 in a few applications (if I remember correctly, Gator, maybe the 4100 CUT and a couple front mowers.) I'll try to get you a better list tomorrow.

· Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Yes, just looked it up in the TM1518 about earlt gators and it has a section on the diesel 3TN66C engines...!! A PDF excerpt is attached below for your enjoyment. I can't say how similar this may be to the 3TN68 of the inquiry in the first post above, though. Looks like the Gator HPx did use a 3TNE68 engine...so will spend some time seeing if I can find info through that path.

Chuck

Attachments

· Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is great stuff! Thanks you guys! Every little bit helps. I've been doing a bunch of research to try and understand everything, and the differences between al these different/similar/same engines; HP ratings, ect...fascinating. My engine is in fact a 3TN68, evident by part numbers, markings, physically measured 68mm bore/72mm stroke, ect... It's interesting to me to see the level of complexity the manufacture would go through with engines that are so similar, depending on the application. On the other hand, I see the exact same thing today at work, nothing's changed :D It seems that at least some of it has to do with California emissions regulations, and how they (Deere) decided to use what engines, ect...

Also, looking for documents that can be used in lieu of the CTM3 for the 332. As there are more than a few errors in the old manual. Newer manuals tend to have better revisions, more accuracy, and a few little better diagnostic/check procedures.

· Premium Member
10,399 Posts
KnockKnock,

Yes, there are many variants in these engines (some of which are due to emissions, others to targeted applications such as marine, tractor, stationary plants, etc.)

The CTM3 covers quite a few engines that Deere used from Yanmar beyond just the 332 and 430 tractors...but it is dated as you say. The PDF copy I have was published in 1993. The excerpt from the Turf gator service manual TM1518 that I posted earlier in this thread is from 2003. I am sure other engine manuals exist as well, so keep looking... The only caveat is that later manuals might cover engines with later emission systems that would not apply to the 332.

Chuck

1 - 6 of 6 Posts