Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up a pile of engine parts, mostly for the p218 items ... the pictured items were included. Anyone recognize what it is? Looks to be Onan ... flywheel has "Onan" stamped in. The crankshaft w/electrical coil must be from something else altogether. Wondering what parts might be usable elsewhere or if anything is of any value ... Thanks, Bryan.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Definitely Onan, look like all Onan parts to me. The bearing plate on the crankshaft looks Onan to me. The oil pan and intake/exhaust look to me like older than the Onans used in 316/318 tractors. Something like BF model. Someone might need the oil pan or flywheel. My guess would be the most valuable part would be the metal flyball spacer that's probably on the camshaft gear.

·
Premium Member
1,129 Posts
I would guess they came from a 400 or 420 going by the two-sheave PTO CLutch. Although I don't recognize the bent-up sheet metal piece behind the clutch. As for the gen coil, they look virtually the same for all brands of small engines but there is no reason to believe it doesn't belong to this engine. If the hole match the case holes and the assembly fit into the flywheel, it likely belongs to this engine.

·
Registered
5,412 Posts
No 12V PTO's on 400's that I know of. That's one reason I like them. The funky idler pulley setup is one reason I don't like them. They're a lot cheaper to fix than the electric version though so the manual PTO wins overall. IMHO anyway.

·
Premium Member
1,129 Posts
No 12V PTO's on 400's that I know of. That's one reason I like them. The funky idler pulley setup is one reason I don't like them. They're a lot cheaper to fix than the electric version though so the manual PTO wins overall. IMHO anyway.
Army, I missed that one. I knew better but wasn't thinking. 400's didn't have electric clutches. I agree with you about it being too expensive to repair or replace that's only going to get worse for the older models that use them. At least the Ogura and Warner types. The more I work on these things the more that's becoming obvious and sooner or later it will get to the point folks will be parking good machines for that reason more often.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts