Weekend Freedom Machines banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I just was recently given my grandfathers 1983 JD 318 and I'm looking to give it some much needed TLC. With that said I have a local guy selling at 316 with all the panels and no motor for $150. My 318's kinda beat up on the outside but runs well. Does anyone know if are any gotcha's when taking parts from a 316 body aside from the 316's hood not having headlights?

Thank you!

·
Registered
202 Posts
There are no issues as long as you are talking about 316 Onan and 318.
A 316 Onan and the 318 have the same hood with headlights, so you may be taking about a 316 Kohler, aka 316K?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, the guy said he still has the original Onan that was in it, it's just disassembled bc it died. My grandfather told me the 316 didn't have headlights, he's 86 yrs old now so idk how much he actually remembers. He sold Deere tractors 35 yrs ago so he may be a little foggy... Below is what I'd be getting into. I appreciate the quick reply!

·
Registered
202 Posts
Yes, those 316 onan parts will fit on the 318.
Gramps may have been thinking about the taillights.
318 has tail lights; 316 has reflectors only - no lights.

Reactions: JDCle

·
Super Moderator
3,440 Posts
You can see the corner of the headlight lens in the pictures. It's the clear, lighter looking piece at the front of the hood.

·
Registered
114 Posts
$150.00 for all is a great price for this older 316 unit. Many parts are interchangeable between the two. Try to get the old Onan with it if you can because many of the parts have some good value.

Good Luck.

·
Super Moderator
3,602 Posts
I agree with jdgreeen. You'll pay a lot more for individual parts.

Reactions: JDCle

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
No worries...the headlights are behind the plastic lens on the front of the hood. As said, Gramps probably meant to say no tail lights. If the tins are better than your 318, take that puppy home.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Done deal, the guy also had an extra 50" deck that appears to be complete for $150. I picked that up too because idk if the one I have currently is a "repaired" one or not. (Gramps doesn't either and he is stuck in a bed from here on out and I live an hr away from garage where the 318 is currently stored.) At some point one of the arms that keeps the deck level snapped and was re-welded and bracing was added if its the same one i think it is.

So far, I've got $600 wrapped up in the 318 now for a winter project.

• head & tail light bulbs
  • tail light housings
  • air, fuel, oil, hydro filters
  • fresh oil and hydro
  • plugs & wires
  • firewall
  • 316 shell parts
  • 50" deck

The only other items I know need looked are
  • the reserve fuel system had an issue that he "bypassed"
  • the choke floats out sometimes while it runs
  • parking break doesn't set

Side bar... Does anyone know what the 1983 JD color code was for the 318? I noticed the 318 I have is a deeper green than the what is on the 316 which appears to be from 1986 based on the serial. Again, he rebuilt this thing in the 90's and cant remember if the deeper green is the original or not. I kind of wanna strip these both down and check which has a better frame and then redo/paint everything... Someday...

Below is the old lady, be kind if you comment on her she's had a rough time mowing 5 acres for the last 15+ yrs. I don't have a pic with the sides on it.

·
Premium Member
8,197 Posts
Here is how to straighten the grill to make it look much better using a carpet installation nylon tool. If you are careful you won't need to repaint anything either. This is what my 322 grill looked like before and after...
grill - some bars bent.jpg

grill - straightened with nylon carpet tool.jpg

Chuck

·
Registered
114 Posts
Tractor Supply (or any other Farm & Fleet store) will carry the correct John Deere paint. I use the brand made by Magic. I have painted many of these 318 with this paint and have had great success. Here is a link to my recent restoration of my 30 yr old 318. Tired 1987 318
I use the paint right out of the can and add a little extra hardener to thin it out a little. I spray with an inexpensive HVLP gun hooked to my compressor. A little practice on cardboard and you are good to go.
Have Fun restoring it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Tractor Supply (or any other Farm & Fleet store) will carry the correct John Deere paint. I use the brand made by Magic. I have painted many of these 318 with this paint and have had great success. Here is a link to my recent restoration of my 30 yr old 318. Tired 1987 318
I use the paint right out of the can and add a little extra hardener to thin it out a little. I spray with an inexpensive HVLP gun hooked to my compressor. A little practice on cardboard and you are good to go.
Have Fun restoring it.
That looks great! I assume you spray at something low, like 25-30 PSI, right? I've never used a HVLP gun before.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I use an inexpensive gun from Harbor Freight ($30.00) my compressor runs at 90+ PSI and I regulate the gun down to approx 35 PSI and adjust the spray pattern wide and use several coats so as to not have sags & runs. It is very forgiving and self leveling with the hardener in it.
Also, I have learned to spray the underside of the fender pan first using spray cans of bed liner material. Great to protect from rust and noise.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I use an inexpensive gun from Harbor Freight ($30.00) my compressor runs at 90+ PSI and I regulate the gun down to approx 35 PSI and adjust the spray pattern wide and use several coats so as to not have sags & runs. It is very forgiving and self leveling with the hardener in it.
Also, I have learned to spray the underside of the fender pan first using spray cans of bed liner material. Great to protect from rust and noise.
Man I have a good set of HVLP spray guns and I have to have my psi around 60 to get a good pattern. It's been that way since day one. BUT I have sprayed 100's of cars,trucks, and tractors with them.

Looks like a great project and what a deal on the 316.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I picked the 316 up on Saturday and had a quick tear down session. I'm feeling pretty good about the purchase. I've got a gift card so I'm picking up a cheap sprayer from Lowe's this week.

Any suggestions as to where to list/sell the extra parts? I pulled off the gas tank, hydro lever, firewall plate, belly screen, ect. and don't need them. Also, the guy gave me not one but two motors. Neither match my 318 engine, both are Onan, one runs, and the other is the original blown motor. His wife is on him for having 15 motors and 18 other tractors sitting around so he said I was doing him a favor... lol

·
Registered
587 Posts
You can try listing your extra parts in the for sale section of this site.

·
Registered
513 Posts
The right hand pedestal panel does not have a removable screen on my 316 but does on my 318. The removable screen is pretty handy for certain tasks and I would rehab the original before changing it.

Reactions: JDCle and mopar65pa

·
Registered
23 Posts
My 330 has three automotive backup bulbs in the front of the hood. They are a poor headlight, so I installed two 5-light LED mini work lights from Northern Tool. They are great. The brackets can be drilled and mounted to the frame so they clear the hood. Best of all, they draw so little current that I can have great lighting and the PTO at the same time. Couldn’t do this when I had a single halogen. Also, I installed truck trailer side marker lights in the real tins, replacing the reflectors that were original. They fit perfectly. Amazon had a 4 pack with two red and two amber. Much safer when working on streets plowing snow.
No worries...the headlights are behind the plastic lens on the front of the hood. As said, Gramps probably meant to say no tail lights. If the tins are better than your 318, take that puppy home.

·
Registered
34 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts