Weekend Freedom Machines banner

21 - 40 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
I have a couple spare drain taps. Once you make friends with these things they actually work fine. Not nearly as awkward as draining the oil out of the Honda in my golf cart.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey everyone! Finally getting around to starting a dedicated restoration/build thread for my 400. Does this make me a member of the black sheep club by chance?

Included in my purchase, I got a 60" mower deck, a cart, several wheel weights, chains, the old Kohler engine, a homemade front mounted bush hog (or something like that) that needs some serious work as the driveshaft is broken, a model 47(?) snowblower (single stage), a homemade rear blade, and I purchased locally a rear gearbox and tiller.

The rear blade is going to need some work as the replaceable edge wasn't taken care of and replaced when it should have been, so it wore down into the bolt holes to replace it. Not sure if that can be fixed or not.

I'm in the market (generally) for a front 4-way blade or a FEL and possibly a rear box blade. Eventually I want a FEL, but time will when that happens.

Here is a picture shortly after I got it:

I have since replaced the homemade 3ph with one from Ruegg Mfg.

I also need to replace the tires all around and while I'm doing that, clean off all of the rust and repaint the rims. I'm debating about which tires to go with. Leaning towards V61's for the front and possibly WT300's for the rear.

When I purchased it back in March, it seemed to run fine and idled well. Not sure if it's the gas or that letting it sit without much running while I figured out the 3ph and did other things (like coating the garage floor and installing cabinets in the garage) resulted in some sludge to build up.

For today's issue let's take a listen to how the 23HP Kohler is running...

More to follow as I get into things further.

'75 JD 400 workhorse
I have a John Deere 400 that I'm getting ready to part out, I also rebuild the driveshafts in my spare time

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I have a John Deere 400 that I'm getting ready to part out, I also rebuild the driveshafts in my spare time
Why are you parting it out? Blown engine or other serious issue? I'd be curious to know what parts are available. Right now, I don't know if I have much that I "need" but depending on your location, I might be interested in some bigger items (rims, rear fender deck, hood, etc.) Kind of depends on what the condition is, price, and location - you know all of the important stuff

'75 JD 400 workhorse

·
Registered
11 Posts
Why are you parting it out? Blown engine or other serious issue? I'd be curious to know what parts are available. Right now, I don't know if I have much that I "need" but depending on your location, I might be interested in some bigger items (rims, rear fender deck, hood, etc.) Kind of depends on what the condition is, price, and location - you know all of the important stuff

'75 JD 400 workhorse
I purchased it with the heads off,& one bad back tire, The fellow lost interest in it, I part these 400's out if there not up & running, This had a three point on it that I recently sold, I'm in Holder Fl Just let me know what you have an interest in,& I'll give you a price plus I can ship, Thank you for your interest !!!

·
Registered
756 Posts
(Hope the Black Sheep Squadron doesn't read that... :oops:)

=)

·
Registered
756 Posts
To be fair, I think that NOS is really hard to find for these machines so the easiest source for some parts is from old broken down machines.

'75 JD 400 workhorse
Was more so joking about the part of it not truly being dead. Sadly without parts machines we all would be broke and have a bunch of non-running machines.

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
I'm a sucker for a hard luck case. Ask the stone deaf old barncat that wandered by one day and ended up with a full time mousing position in my shop.

I had to buy four 400's to finally end up with a parts machine that I'm actually not gonna fix up (not 100% committed to that though!). I bought a 2nd 400 for that purpose, then a 3rd one, but they both ended up back in good working condition again ..mostly thanks to other guys parting vintage JD's out. Some members here at WFM do that and I really appreciate it. New and used parts availability was actually a primary reason I switched from Cub Cadet to John Deere back in the early 2000's. I still have a couple CC's though. My dad's 1200, my grandfather's model 71 and my little 1/2 N used to be a Cub Original. Not gonna give them up till the black station wagon comes for me.

Reactions: dcotop and DEERE317

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Heh heh! Yah be careful. Us squadron guys are just like the Avengers. We go green when it's time for action, we use iron to greatly increase our abilities and we're as good as Thor with a BFH.

(Hope the Black Sheep Squadron doesn't read that... :oops:)

Reactions: Arrow

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
So, brief update for everyone here. I have nearly made enough space in my garage to bring the 400 in and get to work on the first step of "restoration"!

I had a tough time getting it started after it has sat for months without being run. I'm sure that there is some gumming up in the carb as I didn't use a fuel stabilizer in the tank. I got it to run by spraying brake cleaner into the carb. Yes, I know that's probably not the best thing to do, but I didn't have any ether on-hand and I figured that the cleaner might help to clear some of the gunk from the carb. Hopefully it doesn't melt the seals. Even with that, it took several attempts before the engine was actually getting fuel from the tank and not solely running on the cleaner (aka stalling after a few seconds). Then I had it run for about 10 minutes while I got it turned around in the driveway.

I'm debating about buying a new carb from iSaveTractors, as I'm not sure how long it would take me to rebuild the carb nor if I can find a good rebuild kit. I have the K582 so I am not sure how common carb parts are or if they're the same as the K532. I know that some of the hard parts are different between the 2 carbs, just not sure about other things like the seals.

Anyway, I have a new set of shoes waiting to get installed! I'll share some pictures of those later. I also have paint arriving any day now so I can start refinishing the rims. If someone didn't know better they would thi k that my rims are painted brown! While the rims are off, I will probably replace the axle tube that is damaged.

'75 JD 400 workhorse

·
Registered
66 Posts
So, brief update for everyone here. I have nearly made enough space in my garage to bring the 400 in and get to work on the first step of "restoration"!

I had a tough time getting it started after it has sat for months without being run. I'm sure that there is some gumming up in the carb as I didn't use a fuel stabilizer in the tank. I got it to run by spraying brake cleaner into the carb. Yes, I know that's probably not the best thing to do, but I didn't have any ether on-hand and I figured that the cleaner might help to clear some of the gunk from the carb. Hopefully it doesn't melt the seals. Even with that, it took several attempts before the engine was actually getting fuel from the tank and not solely running on the cleaner (aka stalling after a few seconds). Then I had it run for about 10 minutes while I got it turned around in the driveway.

I'm debating about buying a new carb from iSaveTractors, as I'm not sure how long it would take me to rebuild the carb nor if I can find a good rebuild kit. I have the K582 so I am not sure how common carb parts are or if they're the same as the K532. I know that some of the hard parts are different between the 2 carbs, just not sure about other things like the seals.

Anyway, I have a new set of shoes waiting to get installed! I'll share some pictures of those later. I also have paint arriving any day now so I can start refinishing the rims. If someone didn't know better they would thi k that my rims are painted brown! While the rims are off, I will probably replace the axle tube that is damaged.

'75 JD 400 workhorse
Please keep us posted on your restoration. Like many others I suspect, I am snowed in and in need of some garage diversion. I'm working away from home with no garage or tractors to work. Yea some green diversion would help.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Well, I finally got the tractor into my garage! It only took me a half hour of trying to get it started... I had to resort to just pouring gas directly into the carb. Then it actually started running like it used to when I first got it back in March. This makes me question the fuel supply to the carb as faulty. Perhaps the fuel filter is clogged or even a clogged fuel line. The pump continually ticks away, so that might not be an issue.

Got the battery on the charger because all of that cranking and trial and error to get it running took a toll on the battery.

Here are some pictures of the new rubber:

You might not be able to tell, but the old rear rubber isn't actually all that bad, the front tires are shot however. The rears are also tubed and all 4 tires are liquid filled. I got new rear rubber mostly because I want the added traction and to eventually use with a FEL. I have a tiller and a rear blade where more traction might be good to have as well.

Here are a couple shots to show just how bad the rims are... I think you can make out some of the original paint...

Stay warm everyone and stay tuned for more!

'75 JD 400 workhorse

·
Registered
1989 318
368 Posts
As far as using Ether to start the tractor, I was scolded by a small engine guy for doing just that. He said to to use Carb Cleaner instead. Tom

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
As far as using Ether to start the tractor, I was scolded by a small engine guy for doing just that. He said to to use Carb Cleaner instead. Tom
I was going to use that, but the can I had lost its propulsion component so it's as good as empty. So I resorted to the brake cleaner. However, it seems like pouring gas into the carb worked well, so the issue is likely fuel delivery to the carb. Time will tell as I get into it.

Anyone know how long an engine can run with the bowl full if the gas supply to it isn't flowing?

'75 JD 400 workhorse

·
Registered
332 Posts
Arrow, those front wheels are rough. They will definitely have some pitting issues. Do you plan to sandblast them? Hopefully no holes. Rears don’t look as rough. Definitely need refinished. Like the pick of tires. Check to see if valve on bottom of tank and screen in tank is allowing gas to pump.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Arrow, those front wheels are rough. They will definitely have some pitting issues. Do you plan to sandblast them? Hopefully no holes. Rears don’t look as rough. Definitely need refinished. Like the pick of tires. Check to see if valve on bottom of tank and screen in tank is allowing gas to pump.
I will find out. I hope that they aren't too bad that they can't be saved. I also don't have a welder to make any repairs if those are needed. I plan on using a wire wheel and some rust treatment (evapo-rust or similar). But I might want to see if I can source extra rims.

Anyone know what happened to www.tractorsalesandparts.com ? I bookmarked them when I first bought my 400 as a place to source some parts, but it appears that their website is down. I will try to give them a call tomorrow to see if they have anything and the price.

'75 JD 400 workhorse

·
Registered
756 Posts
At least on the newer S/CUT machines with glow plugs ether and probably carb cleaner is how to make a very expensive Japanese firework, and not the 4th of July type either.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
At least on the newer S/CUT machines with glow plugs ether and probably carb cleaner is how to make a very expensive Japanese firework, and not the 4th of July type either.
Haha! Yes, any diesel could be dangerous to do that too. I actually hadn't thought about the ramifications of trying that with a diesel - glad I don't or haven't owned any of them!

'75 JD 400 workhorse

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Anyone know how long an engine can run with the bowl full if the gas supply to it isn't flowing?
I had the gas tank off my VG powered 400 yesterday and forgot to open the shutoff on the tank when I put it back on so your question is timely. Mine ran 20 to 30 seconds with the 23 HP Vanguard. A K532 should be pretty close to that.

My 4 cylinder Ford 800 tractor will run long enough to go all the way out my driveway and about 10 feet down the road.

21 - 40 of 75 Posts