Weekend Freedom Machines banner

61 - 75 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Thanks for the explanation! I knew that had something do do with the low speed idle control. From what I could tell, it was used (at least as set up on my tractor), for adjusting the idle below about 25% throttle. I'm guessing something might be out of adjustment with my low speed idle though because that solenoid is frequently cycling when I try to idle the tractor.

'75 JD 400 workhorse

·
Registered
756 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
This is all spelled out in the operator's and maintenance. manual. David
Appreciate the direction. I hadn't pulled out the manual to dig through it. But I think it should be noted that in the used market few people might get the owners manual when they purchase one of these tractors so it's still good information to have out there and share I mean this tractor is older than I am after all!

'75 JD 400 workhorse

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #67 (Edited)
Anyone know anything about 400's manufactured in '74? By the number plate on mine, it would appear as though mine was manufactured in (or had a model year of) '74. The serial number plate states it's a C400D 0313. The actual serial number doesn't even match with anything that I can find as the serial number sequence is supposed to start at 30001 in '75... A '75 model year 400 would also have the number plate start with C400E.

Anyone got any ideas?

::UPDATE:: I just looked through the owner's manual to see that the original owner noted the serial number as C400D 031389M. So it would appear that mine was one the 1,389th model manufactured (assuming sequential numbering). So likely nothing special. Seems like the last 2 digits and the letter are worn off of the number plate.

'75 JD 400 workhorse

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #68 (Edited)
You can always download a PDF at JD Tech Info Store

Has anyone been able to figure out what to search for to find the 400 manual? I have not been able to figure out how to find the manual.

I thought that it would be useful for me to have a PDF as well as the physical manual so that I can use my phone for reference since my manual is just about falling apart. I guess that I can take pictures of mine to creat a virtual version, but would like to have an official codified digital copy from JD if possible.

'75 JD 400 workhorse

·
Registered
168 Posts
Where are you searching?
Have you searched the auction site? Another place is Clist. If no luck, you will need to order a paper copy from your dealer.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
Where are you searching?
Have you searched the auction site? Another place is Clist. If no luck, you will need to order a paper copy from your dealer.
I was actually referring to your post about downloading the manual from the JD site you linked to. I have a paper manual, it's just very fragile.

'75 JD 400 workhorse

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
New update:

After running it around my yard for around 30 minutes yesterday, today I checked the oil and found that there was a milky residue on the dipstick. After I cleaned the dipstick and reinserted it, there was very little residue, but there was a little...

Thinking that it could be condensation since obviously these are air cooled engines. This was also the longest that I've managed to have it run since March of '20. I also couldn't run it with the choke off even after having it run for 30 minutes. Most of the runtime was with it near full throttle.

I figure that rebuilding the carb should help with many of these issues, but the kit I ordered is still a few days away from arriving. I am going to try to take it off and get it soaking in a can of carb cleaner for a few days before rebuilding it. Will post pictures soon.

'75 JD 400 workhorse

·
Registered
801 Posts
For $10, a 400 service manual (pdf) is available from Bobcat manuals-do a google search. The manual is just a scan of every page and isn't searchable.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I was actually referring to your post about downloading the manual from the JD site you linked to. I have a paper manual, it's just very fragile.

'75 JD 400 workhorse
What are you looking for OM, PC, and/or TM?

What is the serial number of your 400? Different manuals based on your serial number.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
So, for those of you who have experienced this: how much play should exist in the front spindles of the 400? I removed the front wheels to get a closer look at how much rust I had to deal with. And the spindles seem awful loose to me. That being said, I'm used to working on cars so there's that.

In addition to the control arm (whatever the large cast steel piece is connecting the spindles to the frame), being loose (easily moved up and down) and resting with the left side (from the cab looking forward) higher than the right, the spindles themselves had what I would consider to be significant play. They can move vertically probably 5mm (about 1/4") and also angularly like the bored hole for the spindle to go into is out of round or oversized.

Like I said before, this is my first tractor and really the oldest "vehicle" that I've worked on. I checked the parts catalog and found that there were never any bearings for the spindles, but based on how loose things are, it made me think that there should be bearings that got removed or totally destroyed. Obviously that isn't necessarily true in this case, but I would like to know if the play I'm experiencing is normal.

Here are a couple pictures of the left side.

Here's one of the right (it seemed to be a little tighter)

Gets me thinking though: has anyone rebuilt the control arm with bearings for the spindles? Maybe I'm going overboard, but I could see it being a fairly easy process as long as the control arm doesn't need to be line bored to accept the bearings.

Also, a closer look at the front left wheel after I removed it. There is actually more yellow there than I thought! There's a layer of brown grease all over the inside of the rim. Now the edges are still very rough.

As such I'm giving serious thought to picking up a pair of rims online that are used, but appear to be in way better condition than my current ones. The ones online have some corrosion inside that might be from fix-a-flat, according to the seller. Is $100 (+shipping) reasonable for rims that likely still need to be refinished?

'75 JD 400 workhorse

·
Registered
66 Posts
I will find out. I hope that they aren't too bad that they can't be saved. I also don't have a welder to make any repairs if those are needed. I plan on using a wire wheel and some rust treatment (evapo-rust or similar). But I might want to see if I can source extra rims.
I would agree with 5540jd. The front rims are trashed. Every time I have rims like that, the inner portion is usually in a state as to make the rims unserviceable. The pitting and thinning of the metal in the rims should make them a candidate for the scrap pile. It would take too much labor time to try and make a good set of rims out of those. Buy new and save your self a lot of time.

61 - 75 of 75 Posts