Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I keep reading all these posts that say the SM2093 dictates 140s use Type F ATF. The operators manual for my 68 OMM42630 I7 says Type A should be used or JD 303. Are the early ones different or is the operators manual for the tractor wrong?

· Registered
2,608 Posts
No help as far as that goes. My '73 140 SM says type F. Don't have an OM.

· Registered
3,352 Posts
303 was replaced by HyGard at one point or another. Personally I’d run that, but Type F I believe I’ve seen listed for similar applications as HyGard.

· Super Moderator
4,605 Posts
Interesting google search "The JDM 303 used sperm whale oil to meet the tractor’s specification and other equipment fifty years ago. Because of animal conservation, sperm whale oil is no longer used. Today’s manufacturer uses the 303 Hydraulic Oil as a reference to JDM 303. This is odd because John Deere no longer produces JDM 303."

Also from Yesterdays Tractors forum, "Use John Deere Hy-Gard. That is what replaced the old 303 hydraulic oil, and it meets all former and current specs for hydraulic/transmission oils in JD tractors. At least for everything built since 1960 anyway. The Low-Viscosity Hy-Gard is intended for extremely cold temps and use in hydrostatic transmission systems.

Reactions: DEERE317

· Registered
3,352 Posts
Something that was linked on a GTT thread, has some stuff on 303 and it’s replacement.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts