Weekend Freedom Machines banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a set of tractors last month in rough condition, I wanted the 322 and the 318 came with it. The 318 was running a few years ago, I forget why they stopped using it, but I was left with the impression it was a fuel issue. I have a 1983 318 that I spent a boat load of cash on it's engine, bored, etc, it's essentially new (professionally done, not me). Do I need to keep this B series around? If I understand things right, the B43 is a superior engine because of the starter mount. I had considered changing it out of the P when it was apart (oil pan), but there was nothing wrong with it, so I left well enough alone. If I get into the trouble, may be that oil pan would be handy, but then again, may be someone really needs this engine, even if as a core to start over. Is it better selling it whole or apart? I have no interest in trying to start it or do anything more than remove it from the frame. Thanks!

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, why did they go to points in the later models? Assuming the b came after the p?

Sent from my QTAIR7 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Electronic switching versus mechanical switching, no more fusing and worrying about gap, pitting, temp variables, dirt, contamination. My P is on it second electronic points (rotor, trigger) in 30 years of use and 3000 plus hours. I've gone through more starters, key switches, seat switches, old style tube fuses.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So this tractor as a 1983, would have left he factory with a B and somehow has a P in it now??

·
Super Moderator
3,600 Posts
Could you post the years of each of your tractors? You say you just bought a 322 and a 318. If you are not sure check the Model info at the top of the page. Do I understand it correctly that before you got the 322 and 318 You already had a 1983 318 that you did a lot of work on? Is it in good running shape? I feel I need a little more information before I could give an opinion.

·
Registered
4,976 Posts
So this tractor as a 1983, would have left he factory with a B and somehow has a P in it now??

yes that has happened to a few on here over the years when repower with the P series

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Could you post the years of each of your tractors? You say you just bought a 322 and a 318. If you are not sure check the Model info at the top of the page. Do I understand it correctly that before you got the 322 and 318 You already had a 1983 318 that you did a lot of work on? Is it in good running shape? I feel I need a little more information before I could give an opinion.
The 322 has no serial number, Deere says they can't get it via engine number yet I hear it can be done, it's an 88 model they could tell me that. The 318 that came with it I have no idea, it has a flip up seat, but the b series engine. I don't plan to do anything but part that tractor out. The 318 I had spent a lot of money on... It has the P in it, very happy with it! What I was getting at is there is no need to keep the B series engine around should the P ever fail. Sounds like that's a step backwards.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
That depend on how an engine fails, if the block get broken or the crank breaks, may not find parts as these are 25 to 35 year old engines. Or the starter mount breaks on the P. You can switch to the B oil pan and starter. I do not think the Onans can be lined either. So its up to you.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts