Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
73 Posts
My B43G tube was not "fixed". It could be removed and replaced. Also, there are different lengths. The tube that my 318's B43G came with was longer than the dipstick such that the PO cut and extended it. I bought the proper length tube and dipstick from Boomers Onan Parts. So, nope, no guarantees. You'll need to provide part numbers for both to see if they match.

Edit: If it helps, the dipstick for my B43G is 123-1637. If your P218 dipstick number is different, then it might not work with the B43G tube.

· Registered
2,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmmm interesting 🤔 I just put a b43g oil pan (or I have it ready, waiting on gasket) on a p218 and the dipstick tube is fixed permanently. I kind of like that design as almost all onans that have come through here had leaks from the dipstick tube gasket and massive oil everywhere. I found I have 3 blown p218’s and one b43, all engines threw a rod on the left (right as your on the tractor, oil filter side). To me that says just how important the oil filter seal is!

· Registered
73 Posts
Hmmm interesting 🤔 I just put a b43g oil pan (or I have it ready, waiting on gasket) on a p218 and the dipstick tube is fixed permanently. I kind of like that design as almost all onans that have come through here had leaks from the dipstick tube gasket and massive oil everywhere. I found I have 3 blown p218’s and one b43, all engines threw a rod on the left (right as your on the tractor, oil filter side). To me that says just how important the oil filter seal is!
All three? That's very interesting. I used a thin film of RTV around my tube when I installed it. Hopefully that prevents the leaking. Anything you can recommend to increase the longevity of my filter-side rod? There's a new gasket on the oil filter mount-to-block and the ring seal that comes with all oil filters. Plus the rubber seal that goes around the filter to the fan shroud.

· Registered
2,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That last sentence is the important one to me. I like to tuck the thin part between the filter and the drip tray to help hold it in place. I have a junk block, tortured crank, used piston and rings I’m going to piece together and see if she’ll run, just for fun 🤣

1 - 7 of 7 Posts