Weekend Freedom Machines banner

Bad 110. Or bad idea?

Tags
110 diesel idea
3K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Bigpapabo 
#1 ·
Recently acquired 1969 110 with a locked up K181. The rest of the machine needs minor attention -bearings, bushings, rubber all around etc.
Instead of going the smart way to get this green machine going by getting another Kohler, it was suggested by my 12yo gear head boy. "Dad. Put the diesel in it." :nada:
Lombardini 6LD. 6hp diesel the was removed salvaged from a mobile flashing road sign. It's runs like a Swiss watch full out at 3600 rpm. It was previously put to use by me as a home built 4kw back up generator.
Anyone try this? I know the motor plate would have to be irreversibly altered along with the left side rail.
I have no plans for this machine, as I purchased it in a lot buy knowing the Kohler was shot and missing parts (deck, hangers, minor stuff)
I've built my own machines in the past- power washer, air compressor, but again has anyone done this in the past? I don't want to say " Yup boy, we're gonna slap that diesel in there and it'll run like a raped ape"

I've searched and couldn't find much in the gear side. Some 300 series hydro's have been converted.
Any help would be appreciated.
Tire Automotive tire Auto part Machine Toolroom
Tire Automotive tire Auto part Vehicle Car

See less See more
#2 ·
sounds like a good father son project to do

#4 ·
I think you should set it in there and give it a go! If you can get the drive pulley mounted on the crank you have the battle almost won. After that it's cosmetic, making it fit and look good. I vote "Go for it"

Dom

#6 ·
We've got the front end /steering apart right now. Axle pin bushing, spindle bushings are needed. Thinking of doing a hub conversion as well as upgraded tie rod and drag link ends. I've got a set of JD five lug eight inch wheels to use as both of the old front wheels have significant rust and pitting in the bead area. New ribbed tires arrived today and am waiting on a set of Unilli 23x8.5x12 lug tires for the back side. The Firestones could not be salvaged.
The motor has a wide "A_S". The oil pan is roughly 13x12 with no provision for bottom mounting. This motor has side mounts and I'm sure it's going to take quite a bit of saws all and plasma cutter tricks to squeeze it in. The crank will be 2+ inches higher than the K181. I can either notch the crossbeam to account for the primary belt or move the motor forward a bit and keep the belt geometry in the same plane but use a longer (if available ) primary.
This weekend is devoted to getting the front end figured out.
We drained the gear oil out of the 4spd. Holy fricken cannoli - black goo fell out of the drain plug. No fines or chips were found on the drain plug magnet. But... We found two teeth in the drain pan. Filled the gearbox with 3 quarts with diesel and pushed the tractor around making sure we went through all the gears (low gear was not easy-but it spun). Drained the dirty diesel and found nothing else. I'm sure we will need to crack the case to investigate down the road. For now I'll poke a video borescope through the vent and drain for a look for the obvious.
Any way Long follow up and pix to follow soon.
Im attending Mrs Bo's college graduation at the Alliant center...
Woot. 4 years of nursing school. Finally over. No she can fix me if I torch myself :thumb:

#7 ·
Where are you located? Transmissions are usually best used and complete. I'd needed.

Personally I'd find a way to drop the motor. The vari-drive needs original jd belts to have a prayer of working right.

I'd you have a front lift rod it's going to be your first obstacle on the lower.

Based on 200series frames you can cut almost the whole motor mount plate out without hesitation or worry.

Sent from my SM-J100VPP using Tapatalk

#8 ·
I'm just outside of Madistan WI.
I tend to agree about the variator. I can lower the motor by completely removing the motor deck plate and fabing up the side mounts. I'll take a lot of the strength of the front frame by doing so also.
Our plan is to make this a puller. It's days of mowing or plowing snow are over. Unless we add a small hydro vane/gear pump on the PTO. Then we can do other fun things with it.
Hydro the old JD blade I've got laying around--
Hydro a very small JD 4 time tiller on a sleave hitch.
A 4-6gpm pump can be set in along with the associated gear easily. The current lift arm and bracketry is going to be removed.
Anyone need pto and lift arm gear?
Silly ideas but talking with my son sure has him going with ideas....

#11 ·
Update-
New rubber all around. Unilli ribbed tires up front. Unilli 23/8.5-12 lug tires in the back. Wheels were cleaned up, sanded primed and painted.
All new front spindle bushings including the center bolt bushing. Replaced the center front axle bolt. All new rod ends- purchased from McMaster Carr. 2 new wheel bearings. Procured locally- a used rear axle, 37 mower deck and variator assembly.

pictures to follow soon- garage is a disaster.
And- O- dang. Another Deere entered the barn. Much to the "dismay" of my bride. A 216 with a 46" deck......

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.