Weekend Freedom Machines banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have read numerous posts about filling tires, wheel weights, suitcase weights etc. I am however wondering how you guys are setting up non power steering tractors. I have a 316k with a 49 blower. I'm running 1 set of wheel weights, 2 suitcase weights hanging off the sleeve hitch and a back blade off the sleeve hitch. It still steers like a pig. I have greased and adjusted the entire steering system and am running skinny 3 rib tires on the front. Without the blower on it steers like a dream but put the blower on and it's much harder to steer. Traction is not a problem. Advice?

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Jerry, Filling tires and/or wheel weights will do nothing for steering. They'll improve traction though.

Do you lower the back blade while blowing? If so this will not help steering either! Anything on the rear needs to want to "pivot" the tractor on the rear wheels...or lift the front wheels off of the ground. If you're blowing with the rear blade lifted/up, try adding more weight...to the blade if possible. If you're also using the blade, not much you can do!

One last comment. The cylinder that raises/lowers the blower is attached by means of a slotted bracket. When you lower the blower, hold lever forward for a few seconds. This will put most of the weight on the shoes and off of the front tires. This won't help when you're maneuvering into position, but it should help while blowing. Bob

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was thinking of putting the weight out on the blade itself but wasn't sure that was a good idea. I have the brantly blade and it sticks out quite a ways. Wasn't sure that much weight hanging that far back would be good on the lift stuff for the sleeve hitch. I do use the blade occasionally but only in straight pulls so steering is of no concern.

I do have the blower set up so the shoes take the weight when it's down. That definitely helps.

Its mainly just when trying to get into position that it's a pain. Maybe it's just something I have to deal with?

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Sorry, but, "Yup, ya just gotta deal with it." I'm in TN now and the last time I "played in the snow" was in CT during the 2015/2016 winter...314 with 49 on front, 5 suitcase weights on rear, and turfs all the way around...and I was 68 years young! YOU can do it.

And yes, there is such a thing as too much weight too far back. It will help steering but you may start elongating holes and bending/shearing pins. Bob

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've been using it like this for 3 years now. I was just hoping someone had a better idea. Oh well, I'll keep running it this way. I might try 2 more suitcase weights off the sleeve hitch. Hopefully I can upgrade to a power steering tractor or get a blower for my F525. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
On my 112rf, I use 1 pair of wheel weights, fluid filled tires(8.50” wide, 80 lbs each wheel and tire), 2 42 lb suitcase weights(would like 2 more) on a 20 lb weight rack, vinyl cab(50 lbs), and I made my chains out of big rig chains. Each chain weighs 45 lbs each. That’s just to offset the weight of a model 36 blower. The general rule is to add enough weight to steer as close to normal. Try 2 more weights, or possibly try 2 of the CUT weights (75 lbs IIRC).

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will try 2 more weights and go from there. I really should build some sort of bracket for then instead of hanging them from the sleeve hitch though.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Putting them on the sleeve hitch shouldn’t hurt. How much does a tiller way? And that weight is farther out. Maybe put two out on the rear blade and two on the sleeve hitch. Or if you think the two on the blade might be too much, possibly put those two halfway back on the bar.

This is the bracket I made for mine. Fits on the front and the rear.
C29BE0DA-4949-4060-96AA-A8C05E92215C.jpg
Those are my “first generation” chains. Made them out of automotive chains. Twice the weight of regular lawn and garden tractor chains.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Funny, I never really thought about how much my tiller weighs back there. I'm sure its probably a lot more than the weights I have on it. Good point!

I have thought about doing the poor man's power steering mode but haven't pulled the trigger yet. I think I will probably end up doing it in the spring.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Went ahead and ordered the bearings for the poor man's power steering mode. Guess we will see if it helps!

·
Registered
451 Posts
You could use a piece of hdpe plastic of the correct thickness. With a little grease, that stuff is slicker than pig snot, lol.
Cheap to, a good 5 gallon bucket. Cut a piece out of the bottom.
Just another idea I've read, ymmv.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I must be missing something. What does power steering mods have to do with ballast?:confused:

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My tractor (1978 316k) does not have power steering. So when I put the super heavy snowblower on the front it makes it harder to steer. By adding ballast to the rear and doing the "poor man's power steering " mod it should help it steer easier. I will be reporting back this weekend about how it works as my bearings arrived this afternoon.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I think I’m going to have to try the poor mans power steering too – not just to make steering easier but to help with rear traction too. My driveway has just enough slope to it that I have a heck of a time with my 320 (no power steering). I use chains, wheel weights, and 4 suitcase weights on the back. I also put 2 suitcase weights on the front to help with steering traction. Talk about hard to turn! And yet, even with all that weight, it still slides. Once last year it even slid down sideways! I was thinking if I could add another bracket out back so I could add another 4 weights, that might help on both ends of tractor.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That's wild! I can't imagine trying to turn mine with the blower and weights on the front! With shipping it was just under 20.00 for the washers and bearings from mcmastercarr.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
I think I’m going to have to try the poor mans power steering too – not just to make steering easier but to help with rear traction too. My driveway has just enough slope to it that I have a heck of a time with my 320 (no power steering). I use chains, wheel weights, and 4 suitcase weights on the back. I also put 2 suitcase weights on the front to help with steering traction. Talk about hard to turn! And yet, even with all that weight, it still slides. Once last year it even slid down sideways! I was thinking if I could add another bracket out back so I could add another 4 weights, that might help on both ends of tractor.
What tires are you running on the front?

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, I did the poor man's power steering mod and I can say with confidence that it did basically nothing at all! Fun experiment anyway I guess.

·
Registered
605 Posts
When I did the poor mans power steering mod on my 330 I had grand visions of it being MUCH easier to steer with a heavy front load . To me it DID steer easier but it wasn't a dramatic difference . So I went and bought a 332 which has power steering . The 330 is my mowing machine and with the FEL no longer on the front steers very well with the mod . The 332 with PS steers like butter even with a full bucket on the front . Both machines have V61 five rib tires . If I had to do it all over again I would but my expectations would be more realistic . There is no substitute for a true power steering setup .

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I also had grand visions of it being easier to turn! I feel like maybe it's a tiny amount better but not a lot. I'm thinking that in the spring I'll pull the steering shaft out and do a full rebuild and possibly look into better tie rod ends.

I really need to look into a tractor with power steering. I love my 316k without the blower on it but power steering would make my favorite task (snowblowing) even better.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts