Weekend Freedom Machines banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I need to do 50 hour service interval on my X485 that I use to mow my rural property. I brought it into town when I needed trailer for delivery/pick up run.

Tractor was a mess so washed it with a garden hose.. Would no start after I cleaned it up. Removed hood and battery terminals were corroded. Jumped it with battery pack and it started.

Question: What do members use to prevent battery corrosion? GP grease has not been acceptable for me.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Gabby, There are spray terminal protectors, I believe NAPA carries them. It's a brown liquid that just "insulates" the terminal from air & acid fumes.

Corrosion is typically caused by a crack in the battery case around the post...even if you can't see it! The hydrogen sulfide released by the acid creates the corrosion. Anything to insulate/keep acid fumes inside will help. I like the rubber "caps" that go on the wires. Pull the off the post, fill with Vaseline and put'em back on. Excess Vaseline can (mostly!) be wiped off. Bob

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
If you have a round, top post battery you can also use the felt red and green washers around the posts. Won't stop the corrosion completely, but helps keep the base of the post clean and keeps the corrosion from spreading up into the connector esp if you use di-electric grease or vaseline. The red/brown spray liquid is good...for a while, then the corrosion comes back...good for about 6-8 months in my experience on my Toyota truck.

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I generally do not use any type of lubricant, just regular service. The only time dielectric worked for me was on the solenoid wiring on my 91 Ford pickup. Regular I had to cross a creek with it and if I hit the water too fast there was a connector that would get wet and starter would not function. Dielectric grease kind of helped but was not a complete fix. Fix was just don't hit the water too fast.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts