Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What battery do you guys recommend for a 1970 John Deere 112 lawn tractor? The last battery I bought was an AGM battery for automotive use but didn't have much luck with it.

·
Registered
482 Posts
A group 26 Napa battery, mine has served me well.

Reactions: dhager4692

·
Registered
5,426 Posts
Too spendy for me...I like the Everstart brand available at Wuhan Mart, decent price and service life and exchangeable at any WM location...just keep your receipt.

·
Registered
6,810 Posts
TMAC, you posted while I was typing. I also am a fan of Wallys EverStart batteries. Because I live in Wisconsin I like the higher CCA rated batteries. They are a little more expensive but provide good service.

·
Registered
2 Posts
What about a Optima battery? Has anyone used one of these? They are pretty expensive.
I
What about a Optima battery? Has anyone used one of these? They are pretty expensive.
Optima batteries are great. I have a yellow top that I’ve used in numerous tractors and cars at different times throughout the years and it is a dedicated tractor battery now. It’s at least 16 years old and never had a problem with it once. Even had it sit for a year and not get used, no chargers at all and put it straight in a tractor and it fired right up. Well worth the money

·
Registered
833 Posts
The batteries from mother Deere are good ones as well. Any of these will last longer if you put a battery maintainer on it while not using it. Even the solar ones work well in my barn with no power.

·
Registered
1989 318
2,671 Posts
Personally, I go with the cheap readily available batteries, it is not rocket science. Optima spends a lot on advertising, yellow and red are hot topics. I had a $200 battery in one of my BMW's die after 1.5 years, it was purchased from Oreilles and they took it back, and gave me a brand new one for $15, I was shocked, but now they are my go-to auto parts store.

·
Registered
1989 318
2,671 Posts
Buy one for me please as I never contribute to that system :LOL: :LOL:

·
Registered
104 Posts
The battery from a 92 civic is pretty small and should fit. group 24. Personally, I've had no trouble with the traditional lawn mower batteries at Walmart that sell for around $25.

·
Registered
4 Posts
What battery do you guys recommend for a 1970 John Deere 112 lawn tractor? The last battery I bought was an AGM battery for automotive use but didn't have much luck with it.
I have a 212 and a 214. I use ordinary 12V lawn-mower batteries in both, for summer mowing and winter snow throwing (in south-central Minnesota). I keep both on battery maintainers year-around and can't remember the last time I've had to replace one, at least several years and still good to go.

·
Registered
5,426 Posts
I use a little L&G tractor battery in the 322, because the tray is so small. Have 26 group batteries from Wuhan Mart in the 212, 216 and 430. I disconnect the hot cable every time I park them after a work session. No maintainer but should probably get one...instead I start and run them all at least 10-15 mins a month if they sit for a while. Replaced a TSC 26 group battery a couple of months ago...it lasted 5 years, and was a 36-month battery.

·
Registered
596 Posts
My secret is to head to one of my local auto recyclers. They usually have a collection of automotive batteries so I pick the biggest one that will fit under the hood of my tractor and if needed change my cable ends to match. They're a lot better than a lawn and garden battery and usually about the same price out the door.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts