Weekend Freedom Machines banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi gang, was wondering if someone could suggest how to bend my front attachment plate back. Hopefully you can tell from the pics where the bend is. I had the front lifted while I was doing restore and my ram let go and boom down she went. It was quite high and took quite a shot. It's about 12" back into the frame, but mainly on the attachment plate. Do I need heat, just try and pull it back with cold force...? Any suggestions will be much appreciated. Thanks
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That would work. Thanks Ed, I'll give it a shot tomorrow.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,507 Posts
I'd try a jack too. Block it to the wheel (between the tire and the frame on the straight side) so that only one side moves or you'll probably end up moving the straight side instead.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ya I was thinking how to push without bending other back, and being able to go "straight on" to the bent side.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,271 Posts
If you end up breaking it but plan on using it I did keep the set I cut off from a 1968 140 when I put a narrow front on incase someone ran into this issue.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
291 Posts
Scott, I saw your post when you first posted. I've been pondering the best way to go about straightening the right side without affecting anything but that. Of course this is just the way I'm thinking.
Looking at the way it's bent, focuses my attention strictly to that only. Personally, I would not use any portion of the frame itself to "push" from when you straighten it. Chances are you will bend the frame in other areas.
Think about how to pull it instead. The lift cylinder of a plow blade with a piece of chain attached to a tow hitch of a truck. Your hydraulic pulling ram is plumbed right there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks fellas for all the suggestions. I tried a bottle jack on its side but would not pump and extend. So then I strapped the straight side in two spots (middle of frame and near the front) to an anchor in the concrete and backed my 2305 and stretched a come along between the two. I pulled with quite a bit of pressure then sledged it so as to not overshoot the pull. It got it close and will check tomorrow morning to see if my 54 blade will fit. I was too busy with trying to get it back together and running because my other half has been on my case for too many JD's sitting and not running. This one, my restore started back in 2012! Then sat till now(not happy with my first restoration). Hooked it back together today/tonight and fired up like she had been running all along. Love it! Thanks again guys and will let you know how it goes tomorrow!
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well got her all back together, took it for a rip, went and tried the blade and she fit great. Parked it in the shed and noticed it was leaking under the hydro. Grr. Can't seem to find where leak is coming from. Seems like it's around the control cam underneath. Well, another fix. Thanks for your help, and I may start a new thread while I work on the back end.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,479 Posts
Well done! The combination of tension and a hammer often works well. On the early hydros like yours, it is not unusual to develop a leak at the control shaft. There are two o-rings in there. Not a hard fix, but I think the fluid needs to be drained first.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top