Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am still in the market for a new tractor but after seeing some other tractors, I am wondering, What is the best tractor with hydraulics, and possibly a 3 pt hitch. Under $2000 is the key. Body work isn't a problem.

·
Banned
484 Posts
Craig, I would suspect most of the guys on this site would tell you the 140's and 200H's and 300 series would all be good choices in your price range. Personally, I think you could get a pretty nice one for what you are willing to pay, even LESS! Good luck in your search!
Will in Lakota

·
Banned
331 Posts
craig you won't get hydraulics on the 200 series.the 140 you will but they are a little older but still good.my suggestion would be a 316,317 with series 2 engine,or a 318.you might be able to pick up a older 400 series for 2000.00.i bought my 400 1979 from a guy this past summer with a 60in deck and blower for 2200.00.he was asking 2700.00.and I talked him in to giving me the service manual.I would at least stick with a 300 series.

·
Registered
171 Posts
It depends on what you plan to use it for. All the tractors mentioned are great machines and all have their pluses. If you can find a 400 in your price range they are very tough to beat for ability. The 318 is a versatile tractor and has advantage of power steering over the smaller 300 series and 140. The 332 is the best 300 series but it would be doubtful you would find one of them for $2000 or less. 140 and 300 series are great machines for general work. My choice for a work tractor would be the 400, although not as small and maneuverable as the 140 and 300 series it has a good bit more ability. Just some examples:

- the 300 series weighs around 700-800 lbs the 400 is close to 1100 lbs
- the 400 has a hi/lo range transaxle for added gearing and power when needed
- the 400 has bigger tires and wheel base
- 400 has three spool hydraulics (some 140s do also)

In the end you won't go wrong with any of them. The 318 may be the easiest to find. It seems there were more of them produced than any of the others( I am not positive on this)

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Now I just need to find a 318 in my area with no or tiny mechanical problems with someone willing to trade for my 110 and cash. Maybe, still havent run it by the parents. But let me know through my email if you have what I want and are under 100 miles from Russell PA

·
Registered
134 Posts
watch the hours on those 318's,anything over about 1200 hours and your on borrowed time.too bad your not out here in iowa, dealer by me has a pretty decent 430 for 2500.if i didn't already have one it would be setting in my shed.

·
Banned
208 Posts
you might also look into the 330/332 diesels, real nice, you get much better fuel economy and motor life. I just got a 330 this fall and love it. much better torque than the 318, if you go with the 332 you get the duel hyd. and power steering, the 330 has single hyd and manual steering. The diesels are a nice small 3cyl yanmar engine and last well in excess of 2000 hrs if properly taken care of and not overheated.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Probably in wrong forum, but do they make a gear drive tractor with hydraulics? Im still not sure about the hydrostatic drive, when I get older i will be driving a standard vehicle is how much im not sure about automatics. Do they work as good, last as long, and perform as well as a standard gear drive? My dad has a hydrostatic Troy bilt with 22hp engine in it, pushing a little bit of snow or climbing a medium hill it starts running out of power, my 110 keeps on flyin'. Just wondering, that 318 I posted I might be going to take a look at tommorrow, so I would like to know as soon as possible.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Craig,

If taken care of they are very tough. Just my opinion but I wouldn't take 10 Troy Bilts for one of my Deere. As far as lasting I have 2 1968s and a 1969 still going strong. I usually lose traction far before power. There are some gear drive tractors with hydraulics but not a factory 3 point as far as I know.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Craig, if you are talking about actual hydraulic ports then only hydrostat drive tractors like 140, 3XX, 4XX. There are gear drive tractors with hydraulics but they dont have the actual hydraulic ports. Also, 3 point hitches are somewhat expensive for the 318 and others. The 140's have the really expensive 3 point hitch. I agree a 3 point hitch would be nice to have on my 318. Over the two i would choose the one that is the nearest in the picture. The other one looks like it has a 200 series side panel. You never know till you go take a look and listen to them run. I do love my 318 though. Very versitile and hard working tractor.

Lowell H.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.