Weekend Freedom Machines banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked this up. It's a 65 in very rough shape. After talking with a friend of mine who is certain it would never run again I assured him I will be mowing his grass with it for the first of the spring. Oops, shouldn't have said that but I'm always up for a challenge. Motor turns but hast a stuck valve. The deck shell looks solid so, working on the deck at work and when I get home I'll pull the engine and get it tore down. Here's what I'm working with

Attachments

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It will run. Hopefully won't need much but I'm expecting a full rebuild will be in order. I'm set up here at work to bore the cylinder and can turn crank if needed.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
I’ve always wanted a round fender. Sounds like you’ll have this thing purring soon enough.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We will see, hopefully the trans don't need anything. I did however drain a good deal of water from it before putting it outside so I'm a little worried. I will walk that road when I get there though

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Good luck.

·
Registered
309 Posts
My round fender needs to be sleeved. Not sure where the po found a 40 over piston but ive never seen them before... so going to sleeve it to std. Hopefully all goes well with the rebuild.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I got home and dragged the 110 into my "shop space" in the barn. First I pulled the head to see what I'm up against, 2 stuck valves, oh joy. While I was cleaning the the top of the block and cylinder I saw no indication of a previous rebuild so that makes me happy. The cylinder wall however has no crosshatch to it, almost looks polished. I got the gas tank and battery tray out, now working on the sheet metal gaurd that's over the drive belt

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
I got a 65 110 about a month ago from a guy at work. It went through a frood and sat in 2 feet of water. It was in the back of his shed not being used for several years. The engine got water in it, froze and cracked the block. Some surface rust on engine internals but salvageable. I'll take some more pictures of the engine tomorrow.

Attachments

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think the block in mine is ok. I'll get it stripped down and measured but just by my eye I think the bore looks ok. Probably a good honing and new rings would be good enough. Need to get it stripped down to know for sure.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Reactions: steve_siere

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm at the point of the 4 bolts and a strong back and it'll be out. I didn't however go around with the parrot beak cutters to get the belts, wire harness and carb cables out of my way as I'm going to replace it all. I'm pretty sure the belts could have been the original. But I'm in it about 45 minutes and think il have it out in maybe another 15 minutes or so

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok back to the motor... Nothing is wanting to come apart. The engine pulley is rusted to the shaft and I can't get the flywheel to budge. Not off to a great start. Might be bringing the engine to the big shop to soak for a bit. People always ask me why I have a drum of diesel in my shop, well this is why, I work on old nasty crap that was made before anti-seize haha

Attachments

1 - 20 of 29 Posts