Weekend Freedom Machines banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for the drive shaft of a 50 / 47' blower that attaches to a john Deere 400.
The part # is AM36610 (see picture)
I bought a JD400 with a blower but the seller didn't tell me that the drive shaft was the wrong one...
If you any place where I could find this part (e.g. salvage yards) please let me know.

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
Driveshaft is NLA from Deere and is extremely rare to find, Correct me if I am wrong, Are the ends 15 spline yokes. I think these are available from Surplus Center. Mating link should also be available but would need to be modifed and welded together like the one shown.

My suggestion would be to take the driveshaft/tractor/blower to a shop that specializes in making driveshafts. They should be able to provide direction how to proceed with manufacturing a new driveshaft. Will probably cost a dollar or two .... Gabby

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Driveshaft is NLA from Deere and is extremely rare to find, Correct me if I am wrong, Are the ends 15 spline yokes. I think these are available from Surplus Center. Mating link should also be available but would need to be modifed and welded together like the one shown.

My suggestion would be to take the driveshaft/tractor/blower to a shop that specializes in making driveshafts. They should be able to provide direction how to proceed with manufacturing a new driveshaft. Will probably cost a dollar or two .... Gabby

Hi Gabby
Thanks for your suggestions. I also posted this add on various JD groups on facebook and one guy named Bill Knox replied he has the parts...I need to contact him to see if it is really the right one and how much he wants. Otherwise, I was thinking of contacting John Deer salvage yards, if you have some to recommend to me I would be interested.
Thanks
Bertrand

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
I was working with another member who was looking for same part and having difficulty finding it. Sounds like you are one step ahead. Just a warning. Make sure it is the right driveshaft before you commit or you will end up owning two that don/t fit. There are a looking of people out there selling Deere parts that have no idea what they fit or what they are worth. To many think they are made of gold. I am not a low-baller but have been doing this long enough to have a good feeling for what I would pay for one. Make sure you get a lot of photos first so you can confirm it is correct part and in satisfactory condition ... Gabby

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah that's right ! Some people really rise the price to a point it makes no sense. I saw that a similar part was sold on eBay some time ago for something like 100$. Let's see if I get more replies. I guy here in Quebec also told me he might have the part...

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
Good luck with the search.

·
Registered
801 Posts
One end of the driveshaft is 15 spline and the other is 1" bore with keyway. Here is a picture of a 420 version for a 50. Note that it has the center about 1" longer than your pic. Your pic is correct for a 400.I did some horse trading a couple of years ago and swapped a member my 400 shaft for his 420 shaft. I just wanted to have a PTO shaft for parts laying around. Then another member needed the 420 shaft (hence I actually had a pic) and decided to help him out. There may be a way to take a couple of joints and weld them together with some judicious shortening. I have no extra shaft now-and don't need it for the 50 configuration mounted on the loader arms.

·
Registered
801 Posts
It may be possible to take a mower deck PTO shaft (these are a bit spendy) and shorten it to work. I lengthened this one to run the 50 thrower. You wouldn't want the ball quick connect operational because the shaft needs to move slightly on the splines. The shaft is pinned to the thrower gearbox input shaft.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Jay

Many thanks for your insightful comments. I read your thread on the FEL building some weeks ago...such a nice work ! Wish I had your skills for this and also for PTO / drive shaft modifications.
I fact, I may be lucky in my search for a blower shaft for my 400. I posted the add on a FB group and a guy seems to have it (see pic #1). May I ask your opinion on it.. he said he cutted 1/2" each side to facilitate attachment to the front PTO that was a PIA otherwise. Any thoughts on that ?
Also, a folk here in WFM located in Minnesota contacted me as he has the part as well (pic 2 to 5). The part is not modified and seems in good condition.
Thanks in advance for your comments

Bertrand

·
Registered
801 Posts
Thank you for the compliment! I'd go for the unmodified shaft if possible. It's not hard to get the PTO shaft on when hooking up the blower as long as you do it somewhat in order. Get the blower on the lower pins and get the shaft started. Then lift the blower to latch the upper pins. My blower used to sit on a furniture dolly for ease of rolling into place. Of course, now I just pick it off the stand with the loader.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts