Weekend Freedom Machines banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This engine crane example applies to the booms some of us have on our tractors. It's a good visual look at how a 3 point lifting capability drops off very quickly the further out you go. My mini-boom is about 50 inches long, measuring from the toplink bracket on the tractor. It will almost pick up a 60 inch deck at the furthest point on the boom, but not quite. It still drags on the ground. Hook it a foot closer to the tractor and up she comes. Has to be picked up sideways though or there isn't enough room and even then it's close. It will easily pick up an L100 deck at the 50 inch mark but I can pick one up myself and carry it around too so that's not much of a feat. It has 750 PSI at the front couplers which is what the manual says it should have.

Reactions: mopar65pa

·
Registered
4,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Another way to look at it is: Assuming my 400 will lift 500 lbs (total) at the end of the 3 point arms, substitute the 2 ton to 1/2 ton numbers marked on the blue engine hoist with 500, 375, 250 and 125 lbs increments to visualize approximately how much the capacity drops off.

Reactions: Mike_U

·
Administrator
6,177 Posts
The closer to the fulcrum the more it will lift. Another way to explain it is to get a 8 foot 2 by 4 and put some weight on the end and try to lift it. Then move the weight a couple of feet closer to you and then lift. As the weight gets closer to you, the lighter it feels.

·
Registered
4,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yesterday I had the septic tank pumped. I always try to find a way to use my equipment instead of manual labor so I backed my 400 over to the tank lid spot and hooked it up and waited for the sanitation guy. I figured he'd be happy I was able to lift the heavy lid off like that. Didn't go that way. He walked up and said uh.. I can just use my hook rod for it. So I moved the tractor and he took the lid off no problem. I'm still kinda annoyed about it. He should have humored me and pretended it was a good idea to use the boom. A WFM guy would automatically know to do that. :mad: :D

·
Registered
4,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The closer to the fulcrum the more it will lift. Another way to explain it is to get a 8 foot 2 by 4 and put some weight on the end and try to lift it. Then move the weight a couple of feet closer to you and then lift. As the weight gets closer to you, the lighter it feels.
Yah. It doesn't take much distance from the fulcrum to seriously reduce the lifting power either does it. The roughly 500 lb rating for my 400 at the Cat 0 balls on the 3 point arms assumes an attachment isn't located back behind that point and acting as a lever. For example a 3 pt blade that hangs a couple feet back past the arms and weighs 500 lbs actually 'weighs' quite a bit more than that to the 3 point hitch hydraulics. An Al Z load lifter with the forks off and no suitcase weights would be the type of attachment the 3 pt is rated for at the end of the arms. They obviously don't weigh 500 lbs but it's just an example of a reasonably balanced load.

I think I explained that ok. Somebody correct me if I didn't.

·
Registered
4,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey Terry.. quick aside.. how I do I modify my signature in my profile? It's pretty outdated and doesn't fully indicate how eccentric I actually am. :D

·
Registered
John Deere 400
22 Posts
Hey Terry.. quick aside.. how I do I modify my signature in my profile? It's pretty outdated and doesn't fully indicate how eccentric I actually am. :D
I'm not Terry, but since I just joined and set my account up yesterday...
Click your profile pick in the upper right corner of the screen. Yours appears to be a cow :)
Select Account Settings.
Scroll down to signature on the left side of the screen.

·
Registered
4,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Well shoot I was clicking on Profile instead of Account Settings. I haven't modified myself in ages. Thankya thankya (y)

Yup that's Happy The Cow. I figure it's hard to get mad at somebody with a face like that.

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
Yesterday I had the septic tank pumped. I always try to find a way to use my equipment instead of manual labor so I backed my 400 over to the tank lid spot and hooked it up and waited for the sanitation guy. I figured he'd be happy I was able to lift the heavy lid off like that. Didn't go that way. He walked up and said uh.. I can just use my hook rod for it. So I moved the tractor and he took the lid off no problem. I'm still kinda annoyed about it. He should have humored me and pretended it was a good idea to use the boom. A WFM guy would automatically know to do that. :mad: :D

I would add an extension to the opening of the tank to bring it up to ground level so you wouldn't have to dig it up again.

·
Registered
4,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yah I seriously considered that but we had 4 grandkids coming over and I wanted the hole gone so I used my 54 blade to fill and level it. A shovel would have easily done the job but where's the fun in that?

I would add an extension to the opening of the tank to bring it up to ground level so you wouldn't have to dig it up again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts