Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a single row planter at the local consignment auction today for $58 and I am stoked to not have to use the Gardenway again next year.

The fertilizer system is a bit rusted out but I think it could be repaired. Does anyone have a similar system that is in good shape that would be willing to describe and maybe take a video of the operation?

Automotive tire Wood Gas Automotive wheel system Auto part

·
Registered
135 Posts
The fertilizer system works the same way the Cole 12MX planter's system works. If the system is rusted you need to take the hopper off and disassemble it completely. I have disassembled one of my Cole planters and sandblasted it before applying Rustoleum rusty metal primer and then final coats. I have a Brinly just like yours that I have not finished restoring the fertilizer hopper on. I do have the owners manual for that version of the planter. If you want the manual let me know. This is what mine looked like when I picked it up. I paid a lot more than $58 for mine.
Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wheelbarrow Road surface

Bill

·
Registered
1951 JD B, 1967 JD 110-Rf, 1969 JD 110-Sf custom, 1972 JD 110-Sf
689 Posts
Awsome score. I have a push behind earth way planter for some small tight areas, and was debating on making it a sleeve hitch since it's nearly impossible to find a brinley in this area. I have a 2 row trip ih planter for larger areas and my food plots. My best advice is oil and grease yours like no other, an oil can or a paint brush to brush on oil on the chain, grease any zerks , and make sure to rinse out the fertilizer hoppers, blow it out and spray something like wd40 in it and wipe it around. Do you just have 1 adjustable plate? Or different size plates to place inside? Old planters are pretty cool concepts when you think about how all the gears turn to spin the plates to drop the seed.

Here is a YouTube video you might find handy.

Tire Wheel Tractor Vehicle Automotive tire

Gas Engineering Machine Valve Auto part

Tire Wheel Tractor Sky Vehicle

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive wheel system Gas Market

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Rim

1 - 4 of 4 Posts