Weekend Freedom Machines banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
Nice looking 430 Matt. Thought your were out of the 430 business like me being out of the 332 market ... Gabby

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was. Kinda finished the patio. And this popped up on CL right in my neck of the woods. Keeps me in the barn. Matt.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm going to need some help also on the deck wheel assembly? It's hacked up as well! The spring and clip set up on front guide wheels. The pic I took doesn't do enough to show what I'm talking about. But a picture of what it should consist of and/or diagram would be awesome. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
354 Posts
The springs should hook from the plate that slides over the spindle to a hole in the wheel mount frame on the deck. The slotted spacers are how you set the anti scap wheel height. By putting them under or over the pivot tube you adjust the height. The slotted plate goes at the top and the clip pin locks everything in.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just picked up a 430 last week. Showing 1400 something hours on the meter. Just starting to go over things now. Just got it as a project. It runs and drives well. I’m sure I’ll be needing some assistance so I hope there are some knowledgeable folks here.

·
Premium Member
354 Posts
The wheels shouldn't be touching the ground. You can adjust the height by undoing the spring clip pin, sliding the slotted plate off and taking a spacer from the bottom and putting it on the top. The stock setup is like the picture of the left side of the deck (sitting on the tractor). When I used mine I actually unhooked the springs to allow the wheels to pivot more.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Sweet. Check your linkage carefully...I did what you're doing now back when I got my 430 four or so years ago. It's a waste of time adjusting the linkage to stop the creep until you replace the worn linkage pins/bolts...found 2 on my 430, then adjusted the creep to none. Now it's a nice tame workhorse that stays put when I don't want to turn it off but need to get off and open a gate, etc.
Keep posting...nice pix. There used to be a good thread on this with photos, but don't know if it made the trip to the new forum software. I think I found it by Googling...JD 430 creep/linkage adjustment. It helped immensely...told me right where to begin checking the linkage.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Tires back on and pedestal painted, having battery tray made, and got light wiring from gabby. Still need tail lights. Working on side shields and fender pan tomorrow. Hydro oil and filter. Engine oil and filter.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
Matt, I screwed up on the tail light harness. I am mostly a purist, wanting original equipment on my tractors but tail lights are one thing I often modify. My tractors are on a state highway often when I travel back and forth to city compost area. I prefer brighter LED lights and since my 420 is missing one tail light I will more than likely convert to LED. I could have given you the tail light harness from the 420 I am restoring.... Gabby

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Gabby, I ordered the socket from napa that bloodrunsgreen posted. Do u think I'll be alright? Or we could swap harnesses?

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
I would have to lengthen that harness to make it work for me. Typically I just make a new harness. The LED's I install have two bare wires that I attach connector; mating connector is installed on harness. I am quite a ways away from completion so plans are not definite. I will not cut up the harness and if I do not use it is yours.

FYI ... headlights work on the 420 but not the taillights. I have not diagnosed cause. Need to make sure it is not in the taillight harness.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sounds like a plan. I'm just going to work through mine as well. With alot of unknowns as of now I haven't even exactly found the 2 wires running to front for headlights. Are they easy to distinguish or do you have a picture of where they are or come out of wire loom? Thanks

1 - 20 of 44 Posts