Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I removed and cleaned the entire air cleaner assembly on my 1990 316 with an Onan. I used spray carb cleaner and adjusted the carb screw. I even checked the adjustment with the rotary engaged. However, when I reassembled the air cleaner, the engine now surges (again) after the surging appeared to have been corrected. My question is this: Do I need to compensate for the air cleaner being off by setting the mixture a little to the rich side? OR, is there a way to reach the carb adjustment screw with the air cleaner in place. As you probably know, it is tough to see, never mind reach with a screwdriver with the air cleaner installed. In addition, the heat from the muffler in the front of the engine only adds to the challenge. Any suggestions? Thanks!

·
Registered
430 Posts
The adjustment screw is for low speed adjustment only. Usually if the engine is surging there is crap in the high speed jet. To clean it I pull the top off the carburetor and remove the float and needle. After you get the fuel out of the bowl if you look at the front lower left side of the bowl you will see the jet. Adjacent to the jet on the outside of the carb. you will see a plug, remove the plug and blow carb. cleaner and air through the jet. You will probably find that there is sediment in the bottom of the fuel bowl. I use a long screw driver to get to the adjustment screw.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts