Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,
I was wondering if I could get a little info on the gasket that goes between the carb and the block. I removed my carburetor to soak it and do a rebuild on it. When I removed the carb there was only a thick plastic like gasket between the block and carb. I understand that it was for blocking heat transfer to the carb from the block.
From what I have read there are supposed to be additional gaskets there. from what I can tell there are supposed to be two gaskets on that side of the carb( the plastic one and another gasket). But, in what order do they go? plastic gasket between the block and gasket or between the gasket and carb. I also know there is a third gasket on the other side of the carb, between the carb and air cleaner housing.

Should i use a sealer between these gaskets. The plastic one I removed had some depressions in it where it had been bolted to the block and carb. I used a block and an extremely flat smooth surface to take some material off so that both sides of the gasket are flat and smooth.I think that one will be okay. I was going to make the others. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
736 Posts
I rebuilt the Walbro carburetor on my K301 several years ago with a kit from JD. The kit contained 2 gaskets, one thin and a thick one. Since the original carb only used the thin one, that is the one I used, and did not use the thick one. The tractor runs great, is there any reason to use the thick one?

·
Registered
605 Posts
Those spacer gaskets are SUPPOSED to have a gasket glued to BOTH sides. In a pinch, I have sanded the old gasket off the plastic spacer and re-used it with fresh thin gaskets. It's fine. Those thick ones are kind of expensive, if I remember correctly. The gasket (thick plastic one) WAS to help prevent heat transfer and percolating in the carb. Mike

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.