Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the driveshaft out of my 430 right now to change the rear u-joint. It had some slack in it. I can't feel any slack in the front one. Should I go ahead and change it anyway since I have the driveshaft out already? I've got a Weasler join for the read, made in china. Didn't know if I'd be taking out a good joint to put in a lower quality one.

· Super Moderator
4,605 Posts
Didn't know if I'd be taking out a good joint to put in a lower quality one.
It may be good but you have used some of it's useful life. A new one will give you more life at least equal to the other one that you already replaced.

· Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I got the rear replaced. It's tight in one direction. I've tried tapping around and such. Any suggestions on that?
I tried pressing out the front with my vice, but it's not coming out. I used my press on the rear thinking it would be easier, but ended up bending the yoke slightly and had to straighten it up. Any suggestions on getting it out? Should I use the press? I don't want to bend something again.

· Registered
437 Posts
I haven't done them myself but, read they're difficult.

· Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah. I measured the end and though they were fairly close. I'll measure again tomorrow to make sure. I'd hate to take it apart just to find out it can't be replaced. The JD parts diagram lists the same part number for both sides though

· Super Moderator
4,605 Posts
I haven't used a press. First I remove the c-clip, then I hold one of the yokes in a vertical position and used a mallet to strike the other yoke to move the cap outward of the yoke. Then I also do the other one. Then with pliers or vicegrips I work the caps out of the yoke. Then I can get the rest apart.

· Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Yeah, I put a some extra grease in the cap before I installed. Just lost one I had to take back out for.
For the front joint, if hammering on the other yoke doesn't work, I may have to try a bolt between the yoke to keep it from bending and the hydraulic press.

· Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Finally got to work on ujoint again yesterday for a few minutes. I ended up putting a bold between the yoke and pressed out the ujoint no problem with hydraulic press. Now just got to put the new one in the front and try to get the binding out of the one on the rear

1 - 13 of 13 Posts