Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Morning JD fans. I've got an older 430 diesel mower. I'm recently widowed and still have 10 acres to mow. My problem is that the battery cables on the mower cannot be tightened down any father and the negative cable keeps coming off. How do I change them out.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
First off: Welcome.

What type of cables/clamps are in place now? Something like you might see in a car/truck or just a cable with an "eye" that's bolted to the battery?

I'm assuming the type in an auto based on not being able to tighten it any more.

Safety first: always unhook neg first then pos, and pos. first then neg when hooking back up.

Unhook your neg and trace it back to where is terminates (probably the engine block). Remove it. Now do the same with the positive (if you want to replace it). Take them to local auto parts store and match them if possible. ETA: You may have to get one that is a little longer, that would be fine. Shorter won't work. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Good Morning JD fans. I've got an older 430 diesel mower. I'm recently widowed and still have 10 acres to mow. […]
I’m very sorry for your loss. I know the change is very difficult. I hope you can find a way to stay busy and adjust to your new life. One day at a time, as they say.

One piece of advice that we got when my dad passed 30 years ago. Wait a year before making big changes. Don’t give stuff away or sell things, right away. You might wish you hadn’t, later. It takes a long time to heal… more like adjust, and figure out how to keep keep going. It’s a tough time.

Please accept my condolences
Wishing you the best.

Luis

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
If just replacing the ends, get these:

Far superior to the others. They do require a lug on the end of the cable.

Just google or amazon or whatever: Mil-spec battery cable terminal.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts