Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Banned
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As most of you know, I have a 316 Kohler that I'm pretty proud of, because in my part of the country classic JD garden tractors are scarce, and a one year only model is even scarcer.
Well, guess what?? Today I traded for ANOTHER 316 Kohler!! This one is more complete than the one I have, but the K341 has at least a broken rod. But it has what appears to be a 38" deck. Did 316's have a 38 or 39" deck?
Anyhow, going to pick it up tomorrow, will post pics!!

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Hi Jim and Jo. Back when they were new you could get either a model #41 38" or model #48 46" decks for them. These are both three blade decks Since then you can now put a two blade 38" deck (what 318 style tractors used), the later model 46" deck with four gauge wheels, the 50" deck that 318's used or the new style 48" replacement deck (patterned off of the current 48"/54" decks)

Kent

·
Banned
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This one is really in better shape cosmetically than my first 316. It doesn't have a dozen coats of paint, actually it appears to be the original paint. The motor isn't a big deal really, I've got everything get it going. I'm just tickled to have found a second '78 in this Deere starved part of the country.

·
Registered
401 Posts
No kidding about finding a second one. On a sad note my bro went to visit a JD Dealer near where he lives. They had a later 316 on the lot that they want to move. Most likely accept any offer. It runs and is in "ok" condition. The sad note is we missed a really good 140 with fairly new later 4 gage wheel deck running for FREE!!!!!!! grrrrrrrrrr

·
Banned
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Understand "grrrrrr".
I know where there is a MINT 300 sitting in an old small engine shops boneyard. The tractor looks like its never been touched. The old guy that owns the shop won't even price it! Its just sitting there with weeds growing up around it!! And nothing for company but a bunch of murrays and crapsmans!!!
Grrrrrrrr......

·
Banned
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks JDF!!
I worked on it some this morning, but my shop gets like an oven in the afternoon!!
I am looking forward to parking both 316K's
side by side.
After mowing season is over, my hard working 212 is going in for a well deserved makeover!

Jim

·
Banned
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
BTW, this is going to be an all rattle can job. We'll see how it turns out. I've always used my HVLP gun before. I'm using Valspar paint, and so far I'm pretty happy, and no gun to clean up!!
We'll see how the tractor looks a year from now.

Jim

·
Registered
613 Posts
Cheap a$$ed junk anyway. Broke a hood louver off from my hood the other day. Have any of you guy's found a glue that will make a minor repair possible on these hood's? Why did/does mother deere make such a good little tractor and then put a pos hood on it? Makes no sense to me.

·
Premium Member
4,663 Posts
A place up here offers plastic welding,I know nothing about it,nor if it works or not.Just a suggestion

Grant

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.