Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Didn't see where this has been discussed, buy I have an old original fuel guage on my 140. It was not really readable and does not have a lens. Seems these are now "unobtainable". I had a hunch that this was years of gas fume buildup and so took some Gumout spray carb cleaner to the face. Gumout cleaned the face back to white and did not affect the black print at all. I guess if I can figure out how to get a lens or fabricate one, I will be in business!

· Registered
66 Posts
I was looking for a new fuel cap for my '72 140, but came up empty handed too. Maybe another one could be modified to fix a 140 fuel tank? Has anyone tried this? I know the opening in the tank is rather small. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

· Premium Member
10,385 Posts
Why wouldn't this 140 fuel guage be what you need??
Font Rim Automotive tire Parallel Circle

It says they are out of stock at present, but you can contact them to see if/when they will have more. They may also have some suggestions on what else to do - they are very helpful there.

Chuck

· Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, it will clear. Maybe I can find a domed lens for originality. Haven't seen aftermarket either but would rather have a flat lens on an original than aftermarket. NOS is desired. I have to laugh, a guy on ebay sold 70 originals for $30ea and ran out in Sept 22. Talk about late to the party!

· Registered
2,884 Posts
Don’t forget to drill a little hole in the lens to vent the tank.

Reactions: redbarn110

· Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I found a domed glass lens on ebay 8ea for 9.00 shipped. An inside caliper read 41mm. These are 40.5mm. Glass might prevent the cloudy plastic issue. Also found a place in china on alibaba that says they make an original replacement guage. Problem is you have to buy a minimum of 100. Picture shows a side photo, but not the face of the level guage. So, couple of show stoppers there.

· Registered
66 Posts
I know a Case/Ingersoll garden tractor 1.5" metal fuel cap fits a JD 140's gas tank because I have a 4016 Ingersoll and I tried it. Unfortunately they don't sell a cap with a gauge because their tanks are semi-transparent, so therefore, there's no need for a gauge. But here's the Case/Ingersoll fuel cap info anyway.

1.5" Metal Cap Fuel Tank
Item# C11529
$3.55

· Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Automotive lighting Finger Gauge Rim Measuring instrument

This is the Torchtips.com flat 1.5" lens. Fits very snuggly so make sure that the grooves in the cap are clean and not damaged. I had to fiddle with it a little to get it to snap in. Where should I drill the vent hole? :)

· Registered
2,884 Posts
I don’t think it really matters as long as it’s there. Nice job on that!

Reactions: ronrhatch

· Registered
2,267 Posts
If it was mine I’d skip the hole in it. The cap is only going to seal if it’s torqued on tight. Almost snug and it will vent and you won’t have to risk spalling or cracking the plastic drilling it. Some tanks have a vertical cut through the threads where the cap screws on to allow venting, this is also an option.

· Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks, I will look and see. I initially thought the lens would be a little small. In that case I could have used some sealant or gasket below it and left a space for venting. This is too tight for that. I will look at tank neck and see what is possible. I don't mind a small hole and have some real tiny bits that would work if I go that route.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts