Weekend Freedom Machines banner

61 - 72 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Been working in electronics, computers and programming (now called coding since the early 80's). Just replaced my USB mouse today had it for 15 years, it was not clicking correctly for copy/cut/pasting. So I know your pain. Just trying to figure out where the problem lies. I believe that the wireless Direct TV operates in the 5GHz band (looked up on google) so it can cause issues with the high wifi band that is there. Bluetooth operates on 2.4 GHz (lower wifi and old portable phones used in homes). Most of todays wireless keyboards and mouse setups operate on the 2.4 GHz band so you can have interference from old wireless access points, portable phones, printers that have wifi and/or bluetooth capabilities, cell phones with wifi and bluetooth capabilities. If they are close by the may swamp your computer's keyboard and mouse with radio interference.

Just one reason why I hate those who go hog wild on wireless in their homes and then complain when things do not operate correctly. I disable booth tooth because of poor security on those links. All computer, access points, cable boxes and Tv's are hard wired.

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
When I remodeled house before I retired I hardwired both bedrooms, living room, and enclosed porch for telephone and coaxial cable tor TV. When DirecTV installed new receiver they disconnected something and I no longer have TV in bedroom or porch. Only living room. I need to trace receiver outlet and send signal back to splitter in basement.

Also dropped CenturyLink phone service and service is now with US Cellular (home router).

I did not have issues until I had issues with keyboard. Replaced Dell wireless keyboard with Logitech. Fixed the problems I was having then this issue began. It is ironic that I have been typing on this site tonight with no issues. Everything is still turned on as this morning when I was having problems.

No problem with your assistance but where is our admin that is supposed to be assisting?

·
Registered
295 Posts
On a different note, my I ask why the "About Us" section still has "A forum community dedicated to Vintage John Deere Tractors owners and enthusiasts." and not something like "A forum community dedicated to Vintage John Deere Lawn and Garden Tractors owners and enthusiasts." And a header that matches it?

Reactions: MiniHomesteader

·
Registered
534 Posts
On a different note, my I ask why the "About Us" section still has "A forum community dedicated to Vintage John Deere Tractors owners and enthusiasts." and not something like "A forum community dedicated to Vintage John Deere Lawn and Garden Tractors owners and enthusiasts." And a header that matches it?
From my chair I don't see anything in the name of the forum that gives it exclusive rights to John Deere owners. I see Weekend Freedom Machines. Not weekend John Deere grass cutting machines. Must be my eyesight.

·
Registered
295 Posts
It’s my understanding that the name comes from Deere advertising which uses that term to describe their GT’s
It’s in a few of the ones for the RF’s, SF’s, and the 140. And maybe later ones to.

·
Registered
534 Posts
DEERE317 said:
It’s my understanding that the name comes from Deere advertising which uses that term to describe their GT’s
That's still pretty esoteric. Is it to keep the rif-raf like myself out? Unless a person is a life-long admirer of all things Deere it's a moot name. The name actually does imply any machine that's primarily used on weekends for fun an frolic. When I joined here that's what I assumed it was about, albeit after a short perusal period it became obvious that it was geared towards JD. I never thought it was exclusive to JD L&G tractors though. Especially since the forum roster includes categories for other 'off-color' L&G tractors as well.

The stickler is that the tractors in the header are Deere tractors which are commonly used as belly mower tractors as well as garden tillage tractors for large gardens on large acreages. That, to me, makes them lawn and garden tractors in their own right.

I know many here are retired farmers, but many more have never lived on a farm but may have a bought a acreage. I have a sort of small acreage, just over 13. I need a large WFM (turns out it's green, just the wrong color green) and a small one too. But I also needed one in the middle range. Deeres are worth their weight in platinum around here so I got a dime a dozen Farmall. It's still a freedom machine...or maybe it's just a headache... :confused:

·
Registered
295 Posts
To my understanding this site was created as a Deere L&GT site, hence the name and theme (and this site is licensed by Deere) as to the header, they are certainly not L&GT’s and one would almost certainly never have a belly mower. Along with that they are midsized to small farm (still larger than truck patch) machines.

The point of the name is to pay homage to what the topic of the site is “Weekend Freedom Machines” as Deere marketing termed them.
The point of the off-color section I believe is more so so that those who have the odd Cub or Horse to ask questions about, rather than a definite source of info for any and all potential problems and discussion (like a brand specific forum, ex. for Deere WFM)

·
Registered
295 Posts
Probably should clarify,
The names purposeful name certainly is a bit esoteric, but the implied meaning is the same as the Deere marketing meaning, as “Weekend Freedom Machines” still holds true. When I first joined I assumed it just meant what it plainly does only later to learn the esoteric meaning of it. I just assumed it was chosen for what it’s obvious meaning is and it just happened to be a Deere forum. For bigger stuff they can certainly have that applied, but often times they are of the workhorse variety that have an added play bonus, while most GT enthusiasts have them to play with while just happening to get work done. (Somewhat a generalization) What I said about the header thing plus more of a nit pick, but the unstyled what I assume is a D almost certainly never would be a belly mower tractor. The model 40 would be on the upper end of what normally has a belly mower, and was a smaller farm tractor. And the off color section, it mostly contains the lone non Deere in a herd that someone has the odd technical or discussion question about (and that section is a longways from the focal point of the forum, but is there for a purpose ands serves said purpose.)

Basically the name can be applied to lots, but the meaning to this forum is Deere L&G tractors, not anything else, and the photo fails to reflect that.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I'm not disagreeing. What I was simply saying is that I wasn't a fan of Deere until I bought my 318. Even then it was simply something to cut the large amount of grass I have to cut with as much durability as I could afford. My brother in law worked at Deere for just over 30 years. He always had Deere equipment on his five acres. I liked his 318 when it was new but there was no way I could afford one back then. I could afford Cub's however so I had a 1811 until I neglected to one summer to keep up with checking the oil. Lesson learned. Then a used L120 went belly up within season of buying it. I wasn't too impressed with Deere by that time. Then Craftsman GT500 garden tractor that was OK but didn't have power steering or deck lift like the 1811 had.

Anyway, what I'm saying is that even with that amount of familiarity through my brother in law I never knew what 'weekend freedom machine' referred to. It's just three words that to me mean something to occupy a person's time on any given weekend. That was my ignorance, but I don't assume I'm the only one. If I am, then it's not ignorance---it's stupidity.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Looks like they made some changes visually to most of their web sites, looking more like the old site with thin lines listing the topics/threads/post. Plus going with recent post on the main threads/groupings.

61 - 72 of 72 Posts