Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for some input/ideas.

I've got a 1989 332 with a little over 1000 hours. 5 years ago I completely disassembled it. Painted the frame and hood, powder coated all of the sheet metal (mower deck, chute, and belt covers too). The engine needed nothing, so I didn't touch it. Radiator was re-cored, new fan, new engine mounts, charging system renewed, etc... You name it, I did it. I wanted to build a fully optioned machine, so I added a suspension seat (w/new bushings), rear 2000 PTO, rear hydraulics, H3, 3 Pt hitch, front weight bracket (makes a GREAT bumper), & the transport links for the mower deck. The 50" mower was totally rebuilt. Bearings, speed-up pulley, wheels, etc...

My implements consist of the 2-bag powerflow, 3 bag power pak w/Honda motor, Hydraulic dump MCS w/Kawasaki motor, 250 rear mower, front quick hitch, 47" quick hitch blower, 54" quick hitch front blade, 52" quick hitch broom (that was disassembled, powder coated, new bearings, new bristles), TY15380 cab, 42" hydraulic tiller (3 Pt mount), wheel weights & chains.

This was going to be my "forever" tractor. But, I've found my Z930R to be a faster and better cutting/bagging machine, my 1025R has proven to be quicker for swapping attachments. And storing all of this stuff takes A LOT of space. I'm really considering selling it all, but I wonder, is there a market for a package like this?

I could probably spend the next 12 months and sell a piece at a time. I really don't to do that. I'd like to send it all to one buyer. With the SCUT market nowadays, is there still a demand for this machine and all of its pieces? I looked through the old classifieds and didn't really find anything comparable to what I've got. Maybe this is one of those situations that has to be parceled out, I don't know. What would you folks do? Below is a pic of it right afterI finished the restore.

Wheel Tire Tractor Vehicle Automotive tire
Wheel Tire Tractor Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Agree with those before that is a beautiful restore and an amazing package. Also agree that it would be tough to move as a complete package without taking a bath. Unless to someone who is strictly looking to collect, hard to see that there would be much market for everything to one buyer.

A package of packages might be one strategy to reduce the hassle of selling individual pieces. What I mean by that is listing the tractor for a certain amount. If purchased with "estate"package of rear mower front weight bracket and tiller this discount applies. If purchased with "snow"package of cab, front hitch, pto, blade and blower this discount applies. A "lawn and leaf" package could include the MCS. And so on. You don't appear to have anything that uses the rear pto. Given how crazy the prices on those are these days and that it is easily shipped, that might be something worth selling alone.

Funny you find yourself in this situation for having bought a 1025 and zero turn. I was talking to a buddy recently about an older kubota i came across on craiglist that was 14hp, 2 cylinder diesel and weighed about 600lbs. I was lamenting that there is nothing available new in that basic configuration. He mentioned that Messicks, the Kubota people with a decent internet presence recently published an opinion piece that held that the rise of the SCUT and z-turn machines had effectively killed the entire garden tractor market segment.
Thanks for your thoughts. You may be on to something selling that way...

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Your 332 looks like an excellent restoration. The work and attention to detail you put into the restoration appears evident from the exterior photos.

Years ago I copied this from a post someone made and I refer to it from time to time just to keep things in perspective. Keep in mind, this was 35 years ago and we've all been accustomed to used prices since these tractors were introduced. Today's market price is all that matters but it is interesting to see the list prices of these machines and mower decks when they were new.
This is from a price list dated August 1, 1986 which is for the 1987 model year. Tractors were priced as follows.

316-$4,399
318-$5,099
332-$5,999
420-$6,489
430-$7,499

Mower decks were as follows.
38" 2 blade for 300 series-$329
parts to attach to a 300 series-$150
46" for 300 series-$611
50" for 300 series-$731
50" for 400 series-$929
60" for 400 series-$1,299
Thanks for the info. While the newer machines have some great modern conveniences, I’m not sure they’re built as well as the “old 300/400 series”.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts