Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I replacing the front PTO seal and I would like to replace my cover plate gasket while I'm at it. Can someone please point me to a reliable source for the part. My local Deere dealer says they cannot get it. Thank you!

Rectangle Slope Font Material property Parallel

Automotive tire Gas Auto part Automotive exterior Metal

· Registered
8,981 Posts

· Premium Member
1,338 Posts
Andrew,
Is there an oil leak around the closure plate? If the closure plate "gasket" is solid, have you considered replacing the crankshaft seal without removing the closure plate? Have a close look at the closure plate to determine if there is indeed a gasket or if RTV sealant was used. Your engine is a 1989 Series II, and the later engines employed RTV silicone rather than a gasket (unless someone already installed a gasket). With RTV, that closure plate can be tough to remove, and old silicone clean-up is a chore. If the closure plate is removed, be careful to not loose, and properly re-install the little spring and ball oil pressure regulator. An even cheaper alternative for the same off-shore gasket kit with shaft seals is found on ebay for about $15 with free shipping.
Harold

Reactions: TempletonJDguy

· Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That surprised me a bit. I didn't expect there to be any available anywhere.

cheap alternative
Thank you. I didn't think to look on Amazon
Nose Face Eyebrow Eye Mouth

· Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Andrew,
Is there an oil leak around the closure plate? If the closure plate "gasket" is solid, have you considered replacing the crankshaft seal without removing the closure plate? Have a close look at the closure plate to determine if there is indeed a gasket or if RTV sealant was used. Your engine is a 1989 Series II, and the later engines employed RTV silicone rather than a gasket (unless someone already installed a gasket). With RTV, that closure plate can be tough to remove, and old silicone clean-up is a chore. If the closure plate is removed, be careful to not loose, and properly re-install the little spring and ball oil pressure regulator. An even cheaper alternative for the same off-shore gasket kit with shaft seals is found on ebay for about $15 with free shipping.
Harold
Thank you. I really only started in on this to change out my crankshaft seal. It started spewing oil after an oil change. I read on a different thread a comment similar to "since you're already this far..." you might as well change your closure plate gasket.

I am going to inspect around the plate to figure out if there is even any leaking (maybe it's not worth the extra work). I didn't see any threaded holes for jack bolts to remove the cover plate. What is the best method to remove if it is necessary to remove?

I would be interested to know if that pressure regulator has anything to do with my crankshaft seal leak (I think it's more likely to do with my over-filling with oil). I'm also planning to check that my breather assembly is functional and not fouled.

· Registered
2,676 Posts
Harold, thanks for the straight story about the Series II may not use a gasket. I didn't know that either.
Andrew, I mentioned removing the cover as the easy way to R&R the seal. If you can get it out without damaging the crank or plate, great. The second time I replaced the seal in my Series I engine, the seal had been sucked completely past the end of the bore. Some time later, I found the same thing in a K301 single cylinder. While trying to figure an easy way to get it out, I was turning the engine over by hand and it just blew completely out of the engine. Guess the PTO was keeping it in before but it sure was leaking!

tommyhawk

· Premium Member
1,338 Posts
Andrew,
The closure plate is held on by nine 5/16" cap screws around the outside. After removing these screws, tapping on a block of wood at the top exposed "ears" will usually break loose the silicone gasket. I doubt the oil pressure regulator/relief valve had anything to do with the crankshaft seal leak, as the seal does not normally see oil under pressure--only oil spray.

Tom,
Yeah, the changes in KT17's over the years are not well-documented in Deere or Kohler service manuals or in parts lists. Even the "revised" Kohler KT17 manual describes the series II oil pressure relief valve, but makes no mention of RTV use on the closure plate and cylinder jugs. The Magnum 18/20 service manual does give a lot of useful details, such as the placement of silicone beads, as the Magnum and series II KT17 internals are much the same. It is not clear to me why Kohler switched gasket types--cutting costs on assembly or materials? I see no particular advantage to one gasket type, but always use the factory type in a rebuild.
Harold

Reactions: TempletonJDguy

· Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

cheap alternative
This cover gasket fits perfectly. Thank you @TempletonJDguy ! Kit comes with all sorts of gaskets; intake manifold, cylinder heads, breather covers, front cover, and more. Also has the front and back seals.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts