Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son asked me my opinion on a 2014 John Deere D140 lawn tractor that he has an opportunity to buy for $1000 from someone he is buying a house from. My son says it's in really good shape and only has about 150 hours on it, and the house he's purchasing is only on 1 acre as well.

I'm really not familiar with newer lawn tractors but from what I have found out so far is that the tractor does have a cast iron front axle that is a plus, but on a couple youtube videos people have noted that the Tuff Torq 40 series transmission is light duty, not really serviceable and 1 guy started to have problems with his around the 900 hour range.

As for the Briggs 40 series 22hp twin engine, I haven't really seen anything on it good or bad. I do remember seeing a lot of single cylinder engines in the 16 to 19 hp range from the same time frame having issues of grenading themselves with low hours on them but can't remember if it was kohler or briggs engines having that reputation.

To me, the asking price of $1000 seems a bit much for something that's almost 10 years old and not much more than stamped sheet metal and plastic that Tractordata.com lists as only about $2000 new. On the flip side, even if the trans only lasts about 900 hours that does give him about another 14 years of service life figuring it's only got a 150 hours on the same lawn for the past 9 years.

· Registered
45 Posts
I would offer $600 They are moving and can not put it on a moving truck as it has a gas tank. They sell it to him for $600 or put a add some were. They are moving I do not think they want to fart around trying to sell it.

· Registered
763 Posts
The D and L series are what I call "The Box Store JD's" They are the bottom tier lawn mowers. In my opinion, it sounds like the sellers are trying to get as much as they can to help defray some of the moving cost.

· Registered
80 Posts
1000 is way too much honestly. If it has a tough torq k46 in my opinion they are ok but there are quite a few stories online of these transmissions wearing out from 200 hours on up they start to struggle on hills when they get hot. A rebuild kit is like half the cost of the mower if he spends $1000. To service the unit the transmission needs to come out and be tipped over to drain the fluid. Honestly its not that big of a deal. Its probably 4 bolts and some belts. I’m not sure what fluid is in it but tough torq upped the fluid spec to a 50wt automotive oil. I think they say fluid should be changed every 50 hours under tough conditions but don’t quote me. It’s more like a $500 mower considering its age

· Registered
1,122 Posts
We have a D110 of the same vintage that has served us pretty well. It was about $2000 new, and currently has about 200 hours on it. We've abused it a bit, hauling heavy trailers and stuff, but it has held up fine and I think has been a reasonable value.

As others have said, $1000 is WAY high. I was in the same situation 5 years ago - the home seller had a Deere LX188 which he proposed to sell me as part of the deal. I ended up saying no thanks, and a few weeks later he asked if we'd mind if he left it in the shed when they moved. I did not mind. Think about it - the seller is dealing with moving, and the last thing they want to deal with is trying to transport or sell a mower. So I'd be inclined to say "No thanks, but if you want to leave it behind that's fine by me."

· Administrator
6,425 Posts
I'm not fond of any of the entry level lawn tractors, regardless of brand. The manufacturers of these entry level tractors, any brand, have found ways to reduce the cost. For instance, look underneath the dash and see how the steering column is supported. On most entry level tractors, there is no metal bracketry to support the steering column at the dash, just the plastic dash itself. Then look at an X series John Deere, even the X300 series, there is a metal there to help support the steering column. Most operators will grab the steering wheel to mount the tractor, and that puts a lot of strain on the steering column, therefore on what supports that steering column.

And yes these tractors, as well as some of the X300s, have the K46 transmission, but if you don't abuse the tractor and don't treat it like a garden tractor, that transmission will give you good service.

I won't comment of the price of the one you're talking about, it's hard to judge a value when you're not standing in front of it. Even entry level tractors, any brand, can last a long time with the proper care and maintenance and it's not being abused. It's hard to judge an used one without really looking at it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts