Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Evening Everyone. I am starting to run out of ideas on how to fix my John Deere 316. The starter makes a very loud clunking and grinding noise when I try to start it and now won't even turn over. I have checked and made sure my battery is fully charged. The starter is what came on the machine but I can tell it is not an oem John Deere starter. I cross-reference the number I found on the starter and it says it is for the 316 p218 not that that makes a lot of sense. I have the engine out of it and it almost looks like the starter doesn't have enough distance to engage onto the flywheel. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

· Registered
1,849 Posts
You need to unmount (4 bolts) the engine, to allow you to tilt the engine to gain access to the starter, you will need to remove the starter and mount it in a vice and apply voltages to the starter and solenoid for testing. but most likely the starter needs cleaning and lubrication. If you can't do that work take it to a starter shop for cleaning/evaluation/repair.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts