Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up a 322 a couple months ago. Hadn't been used for a while, and the coolant looked a nice clear green when I looked it over. Got it home, cleaned it up and changed fluids. Used it a few times, and checked the coolant, and it looked a bit hazy. I was thinking it must be a head gasket, putting super tiny bubbles into the coolant. If it sits, the coolant clears up, but shortly after it is started, the haze comes back. Radiator had a small leak, so I pulled it out and brought it to the radiator shop. When I had it out, there was a milky white substance at the bottom of the radiator. Anyway, I also figured this would be a good time to pull the head. I am not seeing anything at all on the block, head or gasket that indicates a leak.

Sorry for the long explanation, but do you suppose the haze was some type of stop leak? Are these heads prone to cracking, and if so, where can I look?

Thank you!

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
I would compression test it before jumping to the head gasket. There is also a test kit you can get to detect exhaust gases in the coolant. It may be as simple as watching the radiator while it's running/cool (looking for constant bubbles)

Did you do a radiator flush, or just a drain and refill with new?

Reactions: bwthor

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would compression test it before jumping to the head gasket. There is also a test kit you can get to detect exhaust gases in the coolant. It may be as simple as watching the radiator while it's running/cool (looking for constant bubbles)

Did you do a radiator flush, or just a drain and refill with new?
What I saw were super small bubbles, smaller than fizz in pop. Sort of like hot water makes before it clears up. If it were the head gasket, I don't think a compression test would have picked up that tiny of a leak. If I saw large active bubbles, a compression test certainly could point to the leaking cylinder.

Radiator had a leak, so it was pulled flushed and repaired. I did not change coolant during the initial servicing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts