Weekend Freedom Machines banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Got the used wiring harness today...not bad, some connector cleanup and I'll be set to install it after I get even more parts (connectors/safety switches) from the JD house tomorrow. Gas tank is ready to go back in, fuel line and new clamps ready...just waiting for a new fuel shutoff for the tank. Maybe tomorrow I'll get the fuel pump off and run some fuel line just for fun. Need to post a photo of the PTO lever handle...it's different than the one on my 212 and don't want to break it all to smithereens trying to unthread it from the lever end if there was a later/model revision for those. It's usable as is, just kinda ugly. Also need to get started cleaning up everything else inside the frame and tins...

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 · (Edited)
Okay, been sidelined by spring mowing/yard chores and waiting for parts. Tomorrow I can get started cleaning up under and inside the frame on the 216. Then I'll see about reinstalling clean gas tank/shutoff valve, new fuel line and filter. Then it's onto adventures cleaning the used wiring harness I acquired. The JD house today delivered the wiring harness connectors I need, plus two safety switches (N start/PTO) and the necessary fuel line (cheaper than the neighborhood auto parts store) and clamps. Rather than pull the fuel pump, I decided to put some fresh gas in the tank/line and turn the starter over with a jumper just to see if the pump is working. Also need to cut the old crusty belts off, service the variator sheave and put new belts on (which arrived yesterday). Then I can put the wiring harness and switches on/in, plus ignition switch, coil, points, condensor, solenoid and a couple of battery cables, and throttle/choke cables...and then see if it will fire over and run as the PO indicated it will. Then it's oil change and seat time...maybe a couple of rounds around the yard.
Still to come is light switch, ammeter, headlight harness/sockets/lens and a round of lubrication with the grease gun.
Sounds like enough to keep me busy for a week or so. Also need to replace the secondary drive belt idler pulley tension spring...got that on order today. That should be fun city based on what I have read about that on other threads. The photo below shows a custom/incorrect setup installed by a PO...which probably doesn't put much tension on the idler pulley.
I'll try to shoot/post some pix as I go along...film at 11.
frame1.jpg

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 · (Edited)
Made some more progress today. Rolled the air compressor out and blew out/cleaned every bit of the 216. Cut the old wasted drive belts off and the variator looked pretty rough. It cleaned up well, though, using some penetrating oil and some spray carb cleaner. Hub is clean, shiny and sound and the center sheave has no wobble/slop and now slides freely side to side with almost no effort. Also pulled the hood pillars and hood and discovered what I thought was a crack in the right front corner is just some hairline schmutz/goop that should clean off. Then I got the N start and PTO safety switches off, one in pieces and the other intact...gonna need some new small diameter machine screws to put the new ones on after I clean up the wiring harness. Also pulled the old nasty ignition switch and the accessory on the rear hitch plate...see below. I have absolutely no need for this and I'm sure someone else does, so I'm going to list it as FREE for the cost of shipping in the For Sale/Classifieds section of this site.
Anyone know when Deere when to this type of steering wheel? This is an '83 216 and the steering wheel is different than my '79-80 model 212. Going to try and remove the operator's pedestal and dash panel...but maybe not if they clean up well enough.
frame2A.jpg

216B.jpg

Also discovered where the front of the secondary drive belt idler/tensioner pulley spring hooks on the frame...got the spring on order, but I'll probably wait until after I get it installed to put the gas tank back on a fire the engine off.

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Too wet for any real progress on the 216, so I went "inspecting" on the 214 parts machine...and that describes it pretty accurately when seen in the light of day. It did yield a shifter gate cover intact, plus a not-too-mangled-or-bent grille, and the three little bolts/screws that hold the air horn assembly to the carb. And it appears the seat springs are harvestable/usable if I want to cut them off. I need some sunshine and blue skies to get moving ahead again.

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
A bluebird day in NE Tejas, just south of the Indian Nations. Made some more progress on the 216. Noticed the shift gate is missing the limiter that keeps you out of 1/L creeper gear. Checked the 214, found it, so I removed it and installed on the 216. Then I had to make a run to China-Mart for a tube of general purpose grease for the grease gun and a couple of cans of carb cleaner...always like to keep 1 each in the shop and garage.
Installed the secondary drive idler pulley tension spring...not hard a job really, with the fender pan off. Got a tight grip with a vice grips and it snapped right on. Then I cussed and fussed and got the 3 bolts that hold the rear-end drive pulley loose enough to put the new secondary drive belt over the pulley. Snugged the bolts up and set about putting the rest of that belt on. Had to shift gears because on a 210/212/214/216 you have to install a new primary belt before installing the secondary drive belt.
Pulled the PTO bar off the clutch cone, loosened and dropped the PTO brake and the clutch cone popped right off. Not too nasty inside, but I think I'll clean and regrease it at some point in the future. Threaded the primary belt around the crank pulley and back to variator...then remembered it's best to depress the clutch to make installation easier. Reinstalled the clutch pedal and tied it down with a bungee strap, and got the new primary belt on the variator. Then I loosed the clutch, and threaded the secondary drive belt forward and onto the variator as well. Then I snugged the three bolts on the secondary drive pulley nice and tight.
Put the PTO clutch cone back on and reset the PTO brake to spec. Noticed the mule drive pulleys were a little stiff and creaky but got them spinning nicely again with a little PB Blaster. Then I loosened the mule drive tensioner spring and lubed it well. While I was under the tractor I noticed the right/driver's side yoke is missing from the draft plate arms. Guess I'll have to swap draft plates with the one on the 214...which looks to be complete and in better shape.
If we wake up to sunshine again tomorrow, I'll get about installing the N and PTO safety switches, ignition switch, solenoid, coil, VR, points/condensor and the refurbished wiring harness. Still need to replace the two electrical connectors on the shorter harness that runs from the stator to the VR and elsewhere.
Then I can drop the fuel tank in, route some new fuel line to the pump and carb. Then I need to root around in the parts box and find my two long battery cables, so I can park the 322 next to the 216, disconnect it's battery cables, and connect the 216 to the battery in the 322. That will let me crank the 216 over off the 322's battery while testing the fuel pump. If the fuel pump isn't toast and moves enough gas, I may get to hear the 216 fire over and run before the week is out.
Maybe I'll have time to get some update photos for this thread tomorrow...stay tuned.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts