Weekend Freedom Machines banner

41 - 60 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
4,547 Posts
WE'RE TRYING TO PICTURE WHAT YOU DID!

Kidding Tmac.. kidding. I'm probably the worst guy here at taking progress pics. I'm following your thread. Pretty interesting stuff. It's adding to treasure trove of JD garden tractor info here. .

They should do a reality TV show on saving old JD garden tractors like you're doing. There could be bogus deadlines, in-fighting, desperate hunts for obsolete parts, decal shortages. Just no end to the potential drama. :D

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Endeavor to persevere Mr. Armstrong, endeavor to persevere!
Got up to actual sunshine this morning. After the morning outing with the shop supervisor, he allowed me some tractor time. Put a plug wire on the coil and plug, installed the ignition switch, pulled and reoriented the solenoid and circuit breaker, installed a set of long battery cables (color coded backwards, black to +, red to ground), parked the 322 next to the 216, disconnected its battery cables and hooked up the long cables from the 216. Turned the key and the starter sprang to life. Shut the key off, pulled the new spark plug out of the 216, grounded it on the top lifting eye, turned the key and it threw a nice blue spark.
Put the plug in, wire on, and opened the thottle and pulled the choke. Engine cranked and it sprang to life and ran pretty good. Got the throttle up to Fast and adjusted the high speed jet on the carb, throttled down and set the low-speed jet, then cranked the idle speed up a little. Managed to make it backfire once setting the high-speed jet, then it smoothed out. Let it run for a little while, but forgot to put the multi-meter on the 322's battery while it was running to see if the VR is doing its job...next time I guess.
Then I shut it down and pulled everything off...long battery cables, coil/condenser, solenoid and circuit breaker and wiring harness, and igntion switch. Put it all aside for awhile.
Now that I know the engine runs well, it's time to change the oil, clean some of the rust off the inside between the pedestal side panels, apply a little primer and paint in there, and oil the undercarriage real well. Also need to replace the engine mounts...all four are dry-rotted and the Kohler did shake around a bit while running, especially at idle even though I turned the idle speed up to smooth it out.
Will probably pull the Kohler out of the frame so I can clean it up a bit, then put new engine mounts in and drop it back in place.
Meanwhile I can clean up the hood, pillars and fender pan and get some fresh paint on those. Then it's on to the smaller bits, like putting an ammeter in the dash panel, brake lock knob, paint the PTO lever knob, grille and air cleaner.
Then it can all go back together with a new aftermarket seat and some fender pan decals if I can find some.
And now...drum roll please! Photos for Mr. Armstrong...also shot a video, but I don't have a Youtube account to post it there and then link to it here:
216running1.jpg

216running2.jpg

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Well, no progress on the 216 today...other than decision making. I have four new engine mounts on order, waiting for delivery...maybe by end of this week. I think it's time to move the beastie inside the shop, or at least over to the shop apron so I can continue work even when its raining out...more rain today and more promised for tomorrow.
So the next step is to disconnect the fuel line at the pump and let the tank drain itself into a container through the fuel line. Then I'll move the 322 out of the shop and into the garage, parked behind the 212. That will open up some room for the 216 in the shop next to the 430. I'll lift the Kohler out of the 216 frame for a general cleanup/oil change and to provide access for changing the four engine mounts. Will also let me hoist the front of the 216 up in the air so I can oil underneath and between the frame rails, and remove the stuck mower deck draft plate with ease...should be able to replace it with the draft plate on the parts 214.
Decided to do some paint inside the operator's pedestal while I have the engine out. And maybe move onto paint for the fender pan, hood, side panels and hood pillars.
It's gotta stop raining sometime...an until it does any painting will have to wait. Sorry...no pix today, tired of wading in a soggy yard.

·
Registered
4,547 Posts
Keep going Tmac.(y)

·
Registered
477 Posts
Some time this summer we’ll be wishing for all the rain we’re getting now. Keep up the good work

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Well as crazy as it sounds, I need a couple of days of sunshine so I can mow the winter grass down low and seed some dwarf fescue while the soil moisture is good. Plus the skeeters are getting Yukon-sized.

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Got the gas tank drained, fuel line back on at the pump, drained the carb bowl and double checked that my new brake lock knob from Schmebay does indeed fit. Then I wadded the cover up into the battery compartment, put it in N and pushed it over onto the rock apron off the shop porch. Covered it real well and went walking with the shop supervisor...we got drenched by a downpour before we could make it back...2nd shower for me today, 1st for him in about 2 months (smells like wet dawg...wonder why?). By the time I got him dried off and into dry clothes, the sun was out! At least I got something done with the 216 though.

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Got the secondary and primary drive belts back off the 216, sitting on the concrete shop apron. I may not be able to lift the Kohler out of the frame completely to change the engine mounts, may have to just raise it up a bit, hack the old mounts out and install new ones. Don't think the Kohler is going to tilt enough or go high enough off the rear mounts to lift completely out due to interference with the front edges of the pedestal panels. Banged on the rusty draft plate a while, but failed to get it off.

·
Premium Member
494 Posts
Are the bolts in the rear mounts rusted fast? If so, you may be able to lift the engine enough to get a sawzall blade between the cradle and mount. Cut the old bolts and work the engine out and up, I had to do that with my 214.

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Got the engine mount bolts out today, all except the front right...it is unbolted, but stubbornly stuck. The rest unbolted and dropped out easily. Then I got the oil drain valve loose and working, so I drained the oil out of the Kohler. Then I disconnected the fuel line to the pump and capped the line, and disconnected the throttle and choke cables. Also harvested the coil and coil hanger, ammeter, battery tray strut and VR off of the derelict 214. And a decent looking ground strap.
Tried to get started on cutting the rusty, stuck draft plate off, but the shop supervisor kept running off with my tools and generally making a nuisance of himself. So I packed it in and spent the rest of the day walking the trails with him and romping him in the yard. Nice, cool bluebird day...so there's always tomorrow for tractor time.
I may wait until the new engine mounts arrive to mess with lifting the Kohler off the frame...I'd like to get it out, new mounts on, and the Kohler back in place all in one go. Seems odd there is only one lifting eye on the top of the Kohler 341. More later...

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Made a little more progress today. Put the 216/Kohler under the engine hoist on the apron of the shop. Instead of pulling the engine clear of the frame, I just raised it up about 2 inches and drilled out the rivets holding all four perished engine mounts to the frame. Got the old mounts out and set about cleaning up the Kohler a little. Then I went at the inside of pedestal panels with some wire brushes and got most of the rust off. Found about half a can of self-etching primer and primered the inside of the left panel, and inside and outside of the right panel. Then I hit it with some JD green rattle can from TSC...Mystik brand I think. Put the variator handle off the derelict 214 on the not-so-derelict-now 216. Let the shop supervisor drag me around the trails for about an hour and made a hardware run to TSC...found some 10/24 nuts and bolts and replacement nuts/bolts for the new engine mounts. Might see those via Pony Express by Wednesday.
No pix again...too much to do, and too little time before the next round of storms due this coming weeks.

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Cool, cloudy morning with low humidity...so I painted the front pedestal panel, then put some gloss black on the engine itself. Then painted the frame sides forward of the side pedestal panels and front of the frame. If I get rained out tomorrow...raining right now...I'll pull the front and rear wheels and clean them up. Don't think they will need a repaint, but we'll see.

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Got the wheels off, cleaned and put back on...don't think I'll bother repainting them because they look pretty good and this will be a working machine. Also did some masking and painting...pulled the gas tank off and cleaned the frame that lies under the fender pan. Looked pretty good, but found a little rust so I wire brushed, primed and painted the frame from the dash panel back to the hitch plate.
Got all fired up to remove the stuck, rusty draft plate with my angle grinder, but it cratered before I could use it. Tightened the arbor lock too tight and the case around the blade lock mechanism cracked. Oh well, time for another Wuhan grinder at HF or maybe a real quality grinder this time...have to go shopping and compare prices.
No pix today as I am trying to get stuff done before the next round of rain on Saturday. Engine mounts were delayed in shipping...might have them by end of the week. Tomorrow I'll gather up the smalls and get them primed and painted...it'll be too humid Saturday if the rain arrives, but in that case I'll move on to cleaning up the side panels, fender pan and hood and pillars.

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Caught another full day of dryness and sunshine and got some work done on the 216...painting the dash panel, steering wheel and steering column. Pix below.
Used Rustoleum flat/matte black rust killer paint. Looks better than I thought it would, but still don't like the look of this 2nd generation steering wheel. May replace it before all is done. Now I need to get the smalls painted and I can make some more progress. Still waiting on the engine mounts...cursed schmebay seller says they have shipped but a week later and still nothing in my mailbox.
Also managed to get the backyard mowed with the 212. Front yard is out of control and rain is in the forecast for the next 3-4 days, so don't know when I'll get to post up more pix.
216June4A.jpg

216June4B.jpg

216June4C.jpg

216June4D.jpg

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
Made some hard fought progress yesterday. The federal employee delivered my four new engine mounts, so I tackled that job. Did the same several years ago on my 212 but I had forgotten what a PITA these little mounts are to install. At least one tight spot on the two mounting holes for each engine mount, lots of circus contortions and cussing involved. Used 10-24 3/4-inch machine bolts and nylock nuts to secure all four mounts to the frame, with the Kohler lifted and dangling from the shop hoist.
And then guess what happened? That's right, more rain! There went my plans to get the PTO clutch cone and battery tray components, air cleaner, and assorted small stuff cleaned and painted.
Today's chore will be reconnecting the fuel line to the pump and reinstalling the drive belts and choke cable. Then I'm stalled out for a few days, other than getting the hood and pillars clean and ready for paint. Have to order some assorted hardware from the JD house tomorrow...really need to replace one of the frame springs on the manual PTO linkage and get it adjusted correctly before I reinstall all the ignition components and wiring harness. Was hoping to have this finished by July 4, but probably not. More later.

·
Registered
4,547 Posts
still don't like the look of this 2nd generation steering wheel. May replace it before all is done.
I'll trade you steering wheels Tmac. I like that style. You can have the one I melted the rim on by leaving a trouble light resting on it. Or you can choose the wheel I broke by hanging onto it getting on and off the tractor. Didn't really notice I was doing that but I was pulling up on it at the same time and one day a spoke snapped. So I don't do that anymore.

The 300 series up to the 317's and the 400 steering wheels should work on your 216. I think 318/420/430 wheels will work too but don't quote me on that. I swapped the wheel on my 214 with the one on the 400 with the broken spoke because I use that 400 quite a bit and the 214 mostly just sits in the shed.

If you're taking it off and try to pull up on your wheel by hand don't assume it's stuck tight like I did with one of mine. I took the cap and nut off while sitting on the seat, then I grabbed the wheel and gave a mighty test heave on it. Wasn't actually expecting it to come off but it did. Very suddenly I might add. I ended up somehow throwing it over my head and behind me. I was so surprised it came off I was lucky I didn't whack myself in the face with it. That was the only JD steering wheel I ever had that wasn't seized up but I don't jerk up on them like that anymore anyway.

Reactions: farmer52

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
It’s starting to grow on me, definitely a stronger design. Yeah, it’s easy to bust your nose pulling steering wheels. Watched a buddy do that on an old Ford pickup decades ago, was pretty bloody...but he has a big schnoz.

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
Ordered the last bit of small hardware for the 216 at the JD house today: hood pillar bolts, fender pan bushings and cap screws/nuts, manual PTO assist spring, fender deck decal and two new pedestal panel plugs (old ones are very worn). Now I need to move it back away from the shop apron, cover it against the weather and get to work on the hood pillars and hood so they'll be ready for paint when the weather dries out.

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
Surprise, surprise...sunshine at daybreak. The spring monsoon shut off and left us with 8 inches of rainfall in about 14 days, but now the summer heat has begun. Managed to spend about 2.5 hours outside this morning cleaning up the 216 hood and fender pan. Very sun-faded, but not as bad as I thought. Only a little bit of rust/corrosion on the feet of the hood pillars, and some solvent staining on the left side of the hood itself.
The fender pan cleaned up nicely on both sides, but it will need a complete repaint. It was so grungy I though the foot treads were still there, but not so...just grunge and corrosion.
Looked high and low for a product called Soft Scrub, but wound up using Scrubbing Bubbles...which is rated for fiberglass. It did a decent job I think.
These pieces will sun dry for a couple of days, then I'll try some polish on the hood pillars to see if they can be polished out to look right. Otherwise it looks like a full prime and repaint all the way around.
hood1.jpg

hood2.jpg

hood3.jpg

fenderpan1.jpg

fenderopan2.jpg

41 - 60 of 65 Posts