Had to take a break, somewhat, today to do a 6-hour road trip to visit the doctor. Got back home in time to flip the side panels over and up and get a coat of green on their insides. Tomorrow I start deconstructing the hood from the hood pillars and working on cleaning up and painting the smaller bits...knobs, air cleaner housing, etc.
Then I can install the manual PTO spring that I got from the JD house today and get it all adjusted right according to spec. After I get the hood and pillars painted, I can drop them back on and install the under-the-battery tray components and wiring harness, switches, etc.
Got the hood separated from the pillars today and did some painting. Cleaned up the air cleaner pieces, deck height knob and used the cup brush on my angle grinder to clean/de-rust the badly corroded battery tray. Also used the cup brush to clean some corrosion off the feet of the hood pillars.
Painted the air cleaner and deck knob glossy black, as well as the battery tray. Used self-etching primer on the hood pillars and then put the first coat of green on them...which means drying overnight.
Also cleaned and primered the old wasted PTO knob, but discovered my can of JD yellow is useless. Since the shift knob is red, I may paint the PTO knob red, too, if I have some in my store of paints...don't want to spend the bux on another can of yellow at this point.
Tomorrow I'll finish the hood pillars and get started masking the decals on the hood. Waffling on whether to prime the hood or just work up the surface real well and go with color coat. I have primer on hand, so will probably go that route but who knows.
Our summer heat has started...climbed up to 92 today after cooler daybreak temps and a light shower. The humidity is punishing...makes it hard to get much done in one session before I retreat to the AC.
Maybe some more pix tomorrow.
Hood pillars painted up well, last touches on it today. Also put some flat black paint on the PTO clutch cone, and installed the manual PTO spring that I got from the JD house. No color paint in my hoarde so I guess I'll have to spring for a can of JD yellow for the PTO knob.
Also got the hinges off of the hood, and had to work on the headlight lens fastener on left corner of the hood. Small rusted bolt stuck fast in a bronze/brass barrel keeper. Finally yielded after some PB Blaster and careful cussing and fussing. But now I'll have to clean the hood again to get the penetrating oil off in spots. Then I can apply a thin coat of polish to the decals before I start masking them off for paint. This keeps the green or blue masking tape from getting too sticky and lifting the decals when the tape is removed.
The shop supervisor forced me into a game of frisbee for about 25 minutes, then we both ran back in the house panting/sweating. Was 90 degrees at 10 a.m. but a breeze has come up now...summer is here. Some update pix later today.
And my derelict front jungle...still too wet to put a tractor on it. Maybe this coming week.
A forum community dedicated to Vintage John Deere Tractors owners and enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about classic restorations, references, performance, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, maintenance, and more!