Weekend Freedom Machines banner
81 - 100 of 147 Posts

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #81 ·
Despite the heat I managed to get the under the hood bits in all the right places and secured. Might get to hook up the throttle and choke cables tomorrow, put the air cleaner on, put the new/used headlight harness in the hood and put the hood and pillars on the front of the tractor. Need to charge the fuel tank a little, borrow the 430's battery, and drop it in and fire it off.
Next comes the cleaning, priming and repaint of the fender pan and cleaning up the seat spring hardware. Don't think I'll make my 4th of July tentative deadline at this rate. Also need to get after the yard again, and put the back blade on the 430 and clean/open the property ditches.
Maybe some update pix tomorrow...

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
Well I got the under the hood bits put on Sunday, but it wouldn't kick over when I turned the key. So I got out the multi-meter and discovered I have power where it needs to be...even through the light switch...but not getting power to kick the solenoid into gear so to speak. Then I got chased inside by the heat.
So I've either got a bad wire/connection somewhere, or a dinky solenoid. Need to check for power through the circuit breaker and at the start wire connection on the solenoid. More tests to come...just no update pix yet.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 ·
Delayed by heat, work and rain...but got my JD yellow enamel touch up paint in the mail. Got two light coats on the road rash on the corners of the hood...not bad, I’ve done worse.

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
Did you track down the electrical issue with the solenoid? I just dealt with a problem like that on my 420. It starts fine now but it was a bit of a hair puller.

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
Delayed by heat, work and rain...but got my JD yellow enamel touch up paint in the mail. Got two light coats on the road rash on the corners of the hood...not bad, I’ve done worse.
I'm delayed by ambition these days. I've really slacked off compared to before I retired. I don't recall ever lazing around much back then. I'm habitual now though.

Reactions: farmer52

·
Registered
265 Posts
I'm delayed by ambition these days. I've really slacked off compared to before I retired. I don't recall ever lazing around much back then. I'm habitual now though.
Somewhat the same way. I got nothing done today, I will give it another try tomorrow.

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
I remember a line in a Star Trek movie where there's an engineering problem and Kirk says to Scotty, 'I gave you lots of time to fix that.. what happened?' and Scotty's response is 'you may have given me too much time'. I'm paraphrasing the dialog but the gist is not enough urgency was indicated. Same thing with me now. I don't put the same pressure on myself to get something done ..because I don't have to.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Actually, I'm guessing it is the other way around. with less pressure and fewer deadlines, I bet you actually get a lot more actually COMPLETED than before. Instead of rushing to put out fires, you are probably doing better and more complete worthwhile work and not just spinning your wheels doing a little on this project, moving to the next fire and doing a little on it to calm the flames, etc.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #89 ·
Well, had a Homer moment this morning. Put the 322 battery in the 216...had power to and thru the circuit breaker, then jumped across the solenoid terminals. Cranked like a champ, so either I grabbed the wrong solenoid off the shelf the other day (quite likely) or the problem lies between the ignition switch and the solenoid somewhere...I’ll chase that gremlin after breakfast.
Ambition? Foreign concept to me...but I’m a plow horse that just loiters until I step into my traces...give me load to pull and I’m all in. Funny how u start cribbing those last years at work, and guarding your stall...

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #90 ·
Put a known-good solenoid in the 216 and it cranks like a champ. But it's one step forward, one step back...now it cranks as soon as the key hits Run instead of Start. So looks like I have to pull the ignition switch and check it for continuity...maybe I have a good switch in the bench bin out in the garage.
Or is there another possibility? It's been awhile since I chased wiring harness gremlins...chime in if you want and thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #91 ·
Okay, jumped into the Way Back time machine with Sherman and Peabody and visited my old dusty mental files from when I was bringing my 212 back to life several years ago. Pulled the ignition switch, tested continuity between hot/Bat and Starter and it passes the test...also passes between hot/Bat and Ignition, so the switch is good.
Now I need to run to town and source another aftermarket solenoid, hopefully Stens like the JD house sells for twice the retail price. Then I can do the solenoid dance yet again...

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
It kinda sounds like the start signal wire to solenoid got shorted to the ignition coil pwr wire.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I agree with Skwirl.
Or by chance does the tractor have a "Starter Improvement Relay" (or some sort of other latching relay in line with the solenoid) that is stuck in the closed position?

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #94 ·
Well, another step forward only to wind up back at square one. Found and installed a new Stens solenoid from the parts place in town, but didn't solve the problem. Only two functions from the switch...Off or Cranking. I guess there's a short somewhere in this new/used 210 wiring harness that I purchased online. Too bad Deere has obsoleted the part and no longer offers it...a new one would solve things nicely. And since the 210 harness is at least 30 years old, I don't feel inclined to remove it and unbundle all the wrap to look for a short.
So I guess I'll get a new Stens five wire harness and make my own...probably should have done that in the first place. Or, I could get two of the Stens harnesses and just replace the ignition switch plug on the existing 210 harness.
Guess I'll sleep on it and then decide tomorrow. At this rate it may be Turkey Day before I get the 216 done to my satisfaction.
Endeavor to persevere...said US Grant to a visiting delegation of Native American chiefs during their visit to DC; after they returned home and discussed their visit and his words, they declared war on the USA. Critical thinking at its best! Always found that kinda humorous...

·
Registered
188 Posts
This may be a long shot but hear me out. The wires going into the ignition connector could be in the wrong slots or maybe the ignition switch is the wrong one for that harness or maybe it got connected to the engine incorrectly?

I would take the wire off the solenoid and do a little troubleshooting. Are you sure you have the harness wires on the right terminals on the ignition switch and the solenoid and ignition coil? For example, if you accidentally selected the wire that normally delivers +12V to the coil when you turn the key to RUN, and connected it to the solenoid, the solenoid would power the starter as soon as you turn the ignition to RUN.

With the power wire disconnected from the solenoid so the engine does not crank, check the wire going to the ignition coil + terminal and see if it has +12V when you turn the key to on. If not, turn the key to START and see if it has +12V. If so, that wire and the wire you connected to the solenoid might be crossed.

You may have looked at the wire colors and connected them correctly by color but the mixup could have occurred right at the ignition switch if someone ever took the terminals out of the ignition switch connector to clean them and put them back in the wrong slots. Also, not every ignition switch is wired the same and maybe the ignition switch you have doesn't match up directly with the wiring harness wires.

In any event, the wiring on that machine is relatively simple and should be easy to troubleshoot with a test light or voltmeter.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #96 ·
Well the ignition switch and spark plug were a gift from Skwirl, so I know the switch is right for the 200-series tractors...plus it has continuity in all the right spots at the right times. The wiring harness is out of a manual PTO 210. I used some CRC cleaner to clean out all the connectors after it arrived, made sure the wires were tight in them and then put some dielectric grease on them...didn't remove any wires from the plugs to clean them. BUT I don't know what someone else may have done before I got it. Tomorrow I'll run those tests you mentioned in your post and check it out. I'm wondering if the ignition switch connector has a break or crack inside...that's why I was leaning towards just making a new harness using a Stens five-plug/five-wire connector. More tomorrow...

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
I’m a plow horse that just loiters until I step into my traces...give me load to pull and I’m all in.
You're the exact opposite of old Bill the workhorse my grandfather had then. Put him in the traces and he'd find a zillion way to aggravate you. Grandpa would eventually get pissed off enough to baseball him between the eyes with a single tree. I can still hear the jingling sound the metal hooks on it made. Never seemed to hurt Bill much but he'd start behaving after that. For a while.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Heres the back of your ignition switch, tmac.
I had 2 of them.

I'm kinda taking a wag here, I dont have a wiring diagram or a tractor anymore but here goes.
I figure B is batt power in.
Meter says,
The starter wire goes on S, right next to it.
It's the only terminal with NO POWER in run but HAS power in start.

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
Does this help Tmac? It's for my 212 but should be the same on all 200 series(?)

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #100 · (Edited)
Was nice and cool this morning, so I did some tests with the meter. Everything has power when it should, except for the Start circuit...it is still getting juice with the key in Run. Given that all the separate components are new or known good and tested, at this point I think there is a crack/short inside the ignition connector.
I pulled the wiring harness out, check the connector/wires against the old crusty one that came out of it and all the wires appear to be in the right connector slots. Also stripped some wrap off the harness down to the circuit breaker and solenoid pugs and find no breaks, etc. Wire colors are different that the original harness, though, so I wonder if the PO of the harness I'm using did his own rewire. Regardless, I have no confidence in the harness now...so I'm going to start fresh with a Stens 18" harness with five wire connector and make my own new harness.
Meanwhile I got tired of having other parts/pieces scattered everywhere in the shop, so after I pulled the wiring harness out I decided to make some progress elsewhere on this GT...and clean up some of the parts clutter in the process. Some visual progress to keep me motivated and get my mind off of the electrical gremlin for now.
Reconnected the throttle and choke cables, installed the air cleaner assembly, and put the repainted hood/hood pillars back on the front...was tired of seeing this piece sitting on top of the tarp covering my next project, a 332.
Also sorted out the bag of parts/pieces/hardware and used new bolts to put the hood and pillars on the frame. Then I lubed the hood hinges a little and installed the headlight wiring harness with bulbs, and grounded it to the left hood hold-down bolt. Now I can put some power through that harness and test the bulbs when I get some time.
Been promising some update pix, so here's a few: now that the hood is on I can roll the 216 back a ways from my shop apron and cover it...so I won't be pushing it back and forth by hand every day to keep it dry from the rain and get in/out of the the shop.

July3A.jpg

July3B.jpg

Juy3C.jpg

81 - 100 of 147 Posts