Weekend Freedom Machines banner
121 - 140 of 147 Posts

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #121 ·
Replacement deck height limiter is due in the mailbox Friday, so that’s Saturday’s project. Then I can get on about making a new wiring harness Sunday. The heat is getting brutal...hoping for a breeze and less humidity this weekend. May have the beast all together and running again by end of the month...just in time for August Dog Days.

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #122 ·
A stroke of luck...the federal employee delivered the new/used deck height limiter a day early! Got the old one cut off...very rusty/seized where the rod meets the anchor/adjuster, glad I didn't waste any more PB Blaster on it. New one went on without a hitch, took me longer to find two right-sized cotter pins in the shop bins than to do the install.
Tomorrow I get the put the fender deck back on, re-install all the knobs, anchor the pan down and put the pedals back on, all in the cool of the morning! Nice! Was only out in the shop about 45 minutes, but it was a frying pan even under the shop fan. So Saturday's fun will be testing the ignition switch under power and putting a wiring harness together...if I can keep the shop supervisor at bay and out of the shop. Found evidence of a wood rat trying to take up residence this morning, cleaned all that up and put down some preventatives after recovering my misplaced shop gloves, hay twine, etc., but the supervisor got the scent so he will be wanting to investigate and clear the premises.

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #123 ·
Back on schedule...got the fender pan on and secured, brake/clutch pedals and knobs. Next up is the plastic shifter gate cover, side panels and seat...pix later.
That means no more procrastination excuses on the wiring harness...posted on tomorrow’s chore list now.

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #124 ·
A little more progress today, and some pix as promised. Got the side panels back on, shifter gate put down and dropped the new seat in place so I could shoot some pix for the purists...before I apply my usual tall, fat-man seat spring modification.
Tomorrow I'll get out in the cool of the morning, test the ignition switch with power, map out the wiring harness (length, etc., etc.) and then gather up tools/connectors and retreat to the garage work bench where I can work under a larger fan until I get it done. May fire it off for a test run/tune Sunday morning early. Didn't clean up before the pix session, so the background is cluttered as usual right outside the shop door...the supervisor was smart enough to stay inside, feels-like temp is 99 right now and feels like about that much humidity, too.
216July16A.jpg

216July16B.jpg

216July16C.jpg

216July16D.jpg

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #125 ·
Delayed by horticulture chores...feeding the exotic forest of patio plants with compost/manure and mowing the overgrown front yard. Got the 322 out for that and discovered a wood rat visitor again while putting it away. The gauntlet is down...break out the rat Zapper! Still need to test the key switch on the 216, measure for wire length etc. and gather connectors. No hint of rain...need a bucket or two of that Ontario moisture!

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #126 ·
Well that was fast...set up the Zapper, Ol Sparky, right after I put the 322 away this morning. Just tossed the mangy carcass into the woods for the coyotes and other night creatures. Very productive weekend...

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
Did you walk the Green Mile with it first?

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
Btw I didn't realize you have so much green and yellow equipment around and have done quite a few refurbs till this thread. I always like knowing other guys are as hooked as I am on this stuff.

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #129 ·
No green mile, but it did get the stockade stroll...walked down the west yard fence a ways before I tossed the remains off into the woods.
Yeah, this is my fourth member of the herd. Started with a 110, then a 140...then the 212 and 430. Then a 316 and 317 drifted through, then a 214. Then a 322...and most recently the 216 and a 332...with a parts 214 in the mix. The 332 is waiting its turn... gonna have to rearrange the parking so I can get the 212 & 216 in the garage, and make another shop space for the 332 next to the 322 & 430.
All the rest passed through to other owners.

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #130 ·
Making slow progress on the wiring harness today...worked at the garage workbench in the cool of the morning, then had to shift gears a little. May be able to finish it up working inside after I get some chores done...we're supposed to get our first dose of 100-degree days for the summer on Sunday which is a bit early. Normalcy is mid-August through late September...run and hide after 2 p.m., or earlier if you have health problems...lucky me, I don't.

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #131 ·
Finished up the wiring harness today after I retreated inside with tools, supplies to work under the AC. I'll plug it in, adjust it a little, drop a battery in and turn the key tomorrow morning when it's nice and cool....sitting at 95 right now in NE Tejas, just south of the Indian Nations...feels like is 97.

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #132 ·
Sweet...got the wiring harness in this morning after dog/yard chores and breakfast. Dropped the new battery in, hooked it up and it cranks strongly and has power where it should when the switch is in RUN...even the headlights work, although I had to pull the right hand socket and tink-tink-tink on the bulb a little. So I got the battery tray in and anchored down, battery in and secure for now (still needs a hold down of some sort) and wiring harness anchored in place. Not it's just the little stuff...adjust the hood latch a little bit, anchor the throttle and choke cables under the hood, replace the frozen/rusty draft plate and adjust the carb a little. Probably will need a carb tweaking since it will be running with air cleaner and filter in place next time I fire it up. Got pushed out of the shop by the heat, but I'll gas it up and get it fired up, adjusted and running tomorrow morning after chores. I need to trim my chore list...the heat is coming on earlier and daytime temps are supposed to hit 100 by Sunday...the dog days must be here early...guess that's why Jack is barking more often after breakfast.

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #133 ·
Got bored after work and dinner, and the temp had dropped to a balmy 92, so I went outside and put some gas in the 216. Let it sit a few minutes to let the fuel run up the fuel line to the pump. Raised the throttle, pulled the choke and cranked it in three bursts...it jumped to life on the third and actually runs pretty smooth with no carb adjustments. Throttles up and idles down smoothly. Hopped on and took it for a couple of runs around the yard...definitely needs a variator adjustment, not much clutch pedal travel. Shifts okay, no whine from the rear end and really scoots with the variator up a few notches. Definitely needs a steer wheel spinner, too.
Parked it and fiddled with the hood latch a little. Moving it in and out made no difference...the latch still hits the top of the hood catch on the battery tray. I'll have to look at the 212 and discover the difference(s), maybe loosen the pillar anchors and shift the hood forward a little...who knows?
Still need to anchor the throttle/choke cables under the hood and tie the forward lights wire down somewhere so it doesn't slip over the engine and down by the flywheel cover. Once I get the hood just right, I'll update with some photos. Then I can pull the right front wheel, get out an old hitch pin and the small sledge and go after the old draft plate.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Glad you got it starting with the ignition and running like it should. Did the problem end up being a shorted wire in the used harness you bought?

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
Tell yer dog I said hi Jack! Sorry. Really bad pun. Can't help it. that's how I'm wired.

>the dog days must be here early...guess that's why Jack is barking more often after breakfast.

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #136 ·
Well one more chore, the draft plate, and I'm going to stick a fork in the 216 and call it done...then move on to the 38-inch, 3-blade deck that goes on it.
Got the hood latch adjusted, throttle/choke cables anchored down, headlight wire tied down and variator adjusted this morning. Then I put the rear chrome hubcaps on it...got a really good deal on these. Been more than a decade since I messed with hubcaps and now I remember why...look nice but a PITA.
Never figured out the problem with the old wire harness...tested good on all wires from terminals to plug using the continuity function on multi-meter, so my best guess is internal crack in that ignition switch plug. Who knows? Now it has a home-made harness that I can trust...that's what counts.
Any way here's some final pix, as promised. The seat mod is for us Big Ol Boys (Bobs) who go over 250 and are 6 feet and taller. Works for me...all my GTs are this way.
216Final5.jpg

216Final2.jpg

216Final1.jpg

Wonder if they still make Tempest Storm steering wheel spinners? ;):p

·
Registered
1989 318
972 Posts
I have an old spinner I do not need, maybe I can send it to you if you like it? I will send pic in a bit.

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #138 ·
Let’s have a look Tom...post away.
Went out for a bit earlier and got the old draft plate off. Raised the right front, pulled that wheel/tire and cut the steering full lock to the right. Put a 3-inch bolt with 2 nuts snugged up to the head in my vise grips, held it against the draft plate stub in the tractor frame and smacked it a few times with the 3-pound hand sledge. Got the new/used plate on and tied up tight.
Guess it will sit on the shop apron until I get a spinner on the wheel, then I’ll raise the front and lube the steering points again. Then it will join the 212 in the garage while I work on its deck. Will have to park them side by side, parallel to the double door by the end of my work bench...that should work. Now for that deck...but some other day...it’s 97 and climbing and frosty beverages are calling!

·
Registered
1989 318
972 Posts
I found the little rascal.

Reactions: DEERE317
121 - 140 of 147 Posts