Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

· Registered
6,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Whatever happened to that 332? Templeton asked...
Still at the diesel injection shop...last contact yielded "I can't figure this out." Plus, all components are working...from fuel pump to injection pump...but still not answering the throttle...just a steady idle after it starts.
Starting to wonder if the aliens took the shop...no reply to my calls. Work is nutz right now, but getting disgusted enough to drive down there and repo it...maybe in pieces?? Film at 11...maybe.
Finally talked to the shop...no progress with it after several months...still won't answer the throttle. But no charge since he was unable to puzzle it out. Supposed to go pick it up Monday, haul it home and keep scratching my head while puzzling over it myself. Gonna have to read back thru my original thread to jog my memory some:
Kinda leaning toward tracing the fuel line from the pump back to the tank and pulling/cleaning the tank and examining the PO's work replacing both tank lines and pickup sock/filter. Maybe it's not moving enough fuel to do more than a punky idle? Either I'll get a more complete understanding of diesels, or I'll send it to Valhalla in flames.

· Premium Member
10,384 Posts
Tmac,

As you know I am "unencumbered" with any experience or direct knowledge of a 332 since my tractors have all been 322 models...hence I can make the following statement without fear of undue ridicule as it may be entirely baseless.

Your symptom does sound like it is an insufficient fuel issue, and the 332 is one of the few tractors out there that has TWO lines at the tank (one supply and one return.) You say the PO replaced both lines, so is there any chance that he SWAPPED them either at the tank or the engine end??? With a full tank, the fuel may siphon in at a low rate but not get delivered at a full flow for anything but idle...

Did you do the fuel flow delivery tests in the TM1591 when you were struggling with this tractor earlier? Here is the test:
Font Rectangle Parallel Number Screenshot

There is also a minimum fuel lift pump pressure test of 3 PSI.

Ignore me if I am babbling -- new at this diesel trouble shooting...

Chuck

· Registered
6,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll have to read back thru my earlier thread to check...it's been loafing/lurking at the diesel injection shop for at least 9 months. Tomorrow I have to clear out a spot for it along the west fence where the parts-214, carts and other attachments live. Maybe by Christmas we'll get some warmer weather to encourage me to get back at it again. I haven't looked at the tank lines that the PO installed...may be correct, or could be fubar.

· Registered
6,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm just curious to check the system from the tank forward, basically finally checking the PO's work several years ago. The 332 was part of a 3 tractor deal that included a 216 (now refurbished and part of the herd) and a derelict 214 parts machine. IIRC it was $600 plus gas bux for all three...and delivered to my house no less. The PO had them as projects, but lost interest and cleared them out to regain shop space...he also had a 400 or 420 apart in pieces.
He redid the 332 fuel lines, got it running and then attempted to "turn up the smoke screw" as diesel guys say to boost power. Then problems arose...anyway, I got it running again, replaced the fuel filter, confirmed fuel delivery to the injection pump, but would only idle...wouldn't answer the throttle. Hauled it to an injection shop...they checked injectors, injection pump health and governor...but still no throttle response. So tomorrow I haul it back home and start looking from the lift pump backwards to the tank/lines, and at the return line from the injectors to the tank. Also plan to pull and clean the tank. As they say about so many things, "it's complicated" until I discover the source of the weirdness.

· Registered
Yanmar Clacking
490 Posts
I'm just curious to check the system from the tank forward, basically finally checking the PO's work several years ago. The 332 was part of a 3 tractor deal that included a 216 (now refurbished and part of the herd) and a derelict 214 parts machine. IIRC it was $600 plus gas bux for all three...and delivered to my house no less. The PO had them as projects, but lost interest and cleared them out to regain shop space...he also had a 400 or 420 apart in pieces.
He redid the 332 fuel lines, got it running and then attempted to "turn up the smoke screw" as diesel guys say to boost power. Then problems arose...anyway, I got it running again, replaced the fuel filter, confirmed fuel delivery to the injection pump, but would only idle...wouldn't answer the throttle. Hauled it to an injection shop...they checked injectors, injection pump health and governor...but still no throttle response. So tomorrow I haul it back home and start looking from the lift pump backwards to the tank/lines, and at the return line from the injectors to the tank. Also plan to pull and clean the tank. As they say about so many things, "it's complicated" until I discover the source of the weirdness.
I have a feeling you’ll figure it out. If the pumps internals are good, then it may just be something simple.

Reactions: TempletonJDguy

· Registered
573 Posts
I'm skeptical of whether or not the shop actually checked the pump/governor. If there is any way for you to check, I might do that. Witness marks on the 4 nuts on top of the pump, the cover on the side that the fuel cutoff solenoid is attached to, ect... If everything else is truly good, it almost sounds like the fuel control rack isn't attached to the governor. The mechanical system of fueling is very simple, so it seems suspicious. My 2c...

Very interested in your findings.

-Aaron-

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

· Registered
1,296 Posts
Tmac's last post contains a clue. He says the smoke screw was turned up. If not done correctly, the governor is out of adjustment.
At worst, the governor spring got broken. Then needing a new governor assembly. Engine manuel says not repairable, replace with new.

Pop the side cover, check the rack adjustment. Then see if the rack moves with the throttle lever. If it does, most likely governor issue.

· Registered
6,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, got the derelict home...only casualty was the battery it went with. Throttle cable disconnected, fuel filter bypassed in favor of a traditional in-line filter, fuel solenoid needs to be replaced...pulls in but won't stay...had to use a zip tie to hold it in. Fired up, throwing white smoke, idles in a rough lope...but crawled up the ramps into the truck bed okay. Same story unloading at the house, back in place next to the derelict 214 parts beast. May get to start the adventure over on Saturday...that's all the update I have, mucho Q&A lie ahead.
Pre-departure shot earlier this year:

Attachments

· Registered
6,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Warm fall day here. Uncovered the derelict after the walk with the Supervisor. The fuel cutoff solenoid arrived today...tomorrow's chore.
Pulled the fender pan, checked the tank, outlet/pump fitting had no pickup line...so fuel starvation may be the culprit. Put a 4 1/4 inch pickup line and strainer on, and both grommet hoses good & tight. Gonna play with firing it off tomorrow or Saturday before I drop the fender pan back on. Film at 11...
Maybe I'll catch some luck from NHTerrys thread.

Attachments

· Registered
6,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
More slight progress on the derelict today, runnin kinda rough due to sinus meds but have 3-4 hours where I can do something.
Got the fuel shutoff wired up, installed and tested...back on the bench now. Now I can remove the injection pump cover and gov cover to see if the fuel rail will synch to the throttle cable when I reinstall that cable. The rail connects to a gov arm inside the injection pump...can't tell how it synchs/moves with the throttle cable yet.

Attachments

· Registered
6,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Some measured non-progress today. Reinstalled the throttle cable, set per the SM. Removed, emptied & inspected the canister filter bolted to the block...looks good. It came home with fuel line routed thru a standard clear plastic filter. Removed the fuel injection pump side cover and confirmed the fuel rail moves freely. Put the cover and fuel solenoid on...it's working well, very loud and snappy. Retightened the throttle cable anchors, hooked up the battery and fired it off...here's the non-progress part. Still runs roughly and unevenly and doesn't answer the throttle...still runs like a turd.
On to plan B, which is try to check the smoke screw setting visually against the fuel rail travel, and then reinstall the canister filter and bleed it from that filter, forward to the pump, and then the injectors...that'll be a joy since it shakes badly when running.
Valhalla time may be near...:confused:

· Registered
6,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Got the stock canister fuel filter back on today, bled the fuel line, burped the bleed screw on the filter and pump, bled the injectors. Getting air in two injectors closest to dash. Solid fuel on No. 3 by the grille. Runs a little smoother...like a polished turd. Will check the return line tomorrow. :unsure:

· Registered
573 Posts
Have you had the injection nozzles individually bench tested yet? I have had the non responsive turd in the past and it ended up being badly leaking injectors.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Reactions: TempletonJDguy

· Registered
945 Posts
Air in fuel is no good. Air compresses where as fuel doesn’t. Recheck all fuel lines coming to pump as well as filter housing.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts